Req Spoof Video Mimetypes (For lousy upnp clients)
I've been having problems trying to playback mkv files via upnp on a samsung dumbTV using allshare (like I have a choice).
After trying out other servers (PS3 Media Server and Plex Media Server), i was surprised to find that the other brands were able to support playback - no transcoding though - by spoofing the mimetype. No wonder renaming the extensions makes the same file playable if hosted on an xbmc upnp share (found that workaround on youtube)!

you see, if you use xbmc as a server, the media is identified as video/x-matroska, as returned by GetMimeType() in the upnp source (checked it out). That is the CORRECT way to go. Now, i tried when viewing the same media file under PS3 media server share (which does not use Platinum SDK), the mimetype is identified as video/avi.

Now this would not be a problem say, if we used competent uPNP clients (8player on iOS, bubbleUpnp on android, xbmc on any device), but samsung's implementation in allshare seems all but rushed and lazy (It even doesn't have a search facility!)

TwonkyMedia has the option to define client type as "Samsung TV" and this must be what that server is doing.

Now before i get the 'get a real htpc' advice or connect your pc via hdmi cable, this is just a suggestion, as that's what i'm gonna do in the future. but for now...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Spoof Video Mimetypes (For lousy upnp clients)0