Hardware recomendation needed
Hello Everybody

I have read different threads now and getting more and more confused. Some of the threads are a little outdated, others just don't exactly have the information I'm looking for.

So I need your help.

Here is what I want:

- An HTPC which can play 3D as I own an Philips 55pfl7007 which should be able to play 3D movies. (That would make me Group 7, I think).

- The system should be as quiet as possible.

- I would just run xbmc on it (I'm new to xbmc, but I just want a nice and easy way to watch my movies and episodes)

- I don't know, if I need an optical drive. Maybe just to play Blueray which I not yet posses.

- I'm not used to linux, so I would use windows as OS.

- The HTPC should be at a reasonable price (~350 € ok?)

- I live in switzerland, but maybe I could get some pieces in Germany, if unavailable in Switzerland

These cases have I in mind (It should be small and have a good look):
- ITX1
- Realan EI5 or EI7 (depend on the optical drive)

I think some cases are hard to get in switzerland!

CPU
- AMD A6-5400k (don't know exactly why, just have seen it often recomended)

Mobo
- Asrock FM2a75M-ITX (although there are some issues reported? Don't now exactly)

RAM
- Absolutely know idea,

SSD
- 64-120gb ssd, no preferred brand.

Infrared
- Is turning on by infrared a must have? I have seen there are several threads about the best remote, this is for the moment not my first priority. I guess there is no dependency on the hardware?

Power
- Is an outside power solution like piccopsu recommended?

Cooling
- Do I need additional cooling?

I would be really happy, if someone could recommend some hardware to me.
Thank you very much

poensch

About the OS; do you know how to use your TV, Amplifier, dishwasher or smartphone? If so, you can use linux Smile.
Seriously, if you only need XBMC, have a look at openelec:
http://openelec.tv/

It doesnt matter that it runs linux underneath, its just a bootable XBMC.
BTW, there is one misleading statement on the openelec homepage; they say it takes up to 15 minutes. My last install took 2 minutes flat, and that included downloading Smile.
The A6-5400K/FM2A75M-ITX runs much too hot for the Realan E-i5. Also, the FM2A75M-ITX causes problems with the standard power supply for the E-i5/E-i7 and will not run. You need the 180W powerboard or get the cases without a powerboard and use a high-power picoPSU (150 or 160).
(2013-01-15, 17:57)Vertigo Wrote: About the OS; do you know how to use your TV, Amplifier, dishwasher or smartphone? If so, you can use linux Smile.
Seriously, if you only need XBMC, have a look at openelec:
http://openelec.tv/

Thank you for the input. I just want to keep it simple. I dont want to become an IT-Expert, but I will consider your recommendation. Is openelec a special version of xbmc? or is it a platform to run xmbc on it. so can you use the normal xmbc versions (for linux) and updates and plugins or does it need special versions of the plugins and separate updates?

@Dougie: Thank you for the help! Do I need the power of A6-5400K/FM2A75M-ITX. Because I really like the realan case (small and not plastic).

thanks
poensch
(2013-01-15, 20:40)Poensch Wrote: Thank you for the input. I just want to keep it simple.

All the more reason to try Openelec. No fiddling with drivers, control panel settings, updates, stopping popups, antivirus, etc. You download it, run a little script to create a USB drive, boot from it and it will install openelec on to your HTPC in a few seconds, literally. After that, almost no configuration is needed, possibly some network settings, which you can change through the XBMC GUI. By default it will even create network shares for you etc, its not like you will need to learn a lot of linux. Although SSH is available, of course Smile.

Quote: I dont want to become an IT-Expert, but I will consider your recommendation. Is openelec a special version of xbmc? or is it a platform to run xmbc on it. so can you use the normal xmbc versions (for linux) and updates and plugins or does it need special versions of the plugins and separate updates?

Its XBMC bundled with an embedded OS (which includes all the drivers and stuff). You can install the same XBMC plugins and skins. It handles updates (both for the "OS" and XBMC and the plugins) automatically, or manually, as you wish. Its a setting in XBMC openelec menu. That menu is the only thing thats visibly different.

Ive been using openelec only for a few weeks now, on both x86 boxes and Raspberry Pi. I couldnt ever see me go back to XBMCbuntu, let alone windows. Just one example, I installed it on a USB drive (Openelec only takes ~120 Mb the rest is available for media). I can boot that drive from any machine Ive tried it on, be it with nVidia, AMD or Intel graphics. It just works on all of them if you download the generic build. So you can take your media center anywhere you go Smile.

OH, and it will work fine with as little as 512 Mb RAM (!) and boots faster than anything I had ever seen.
(2013-01-15, 21:37)Vertigo Wrote: All the more reason to try Openelec. No fiddling with drivers, control panel settings, updates, stopping popups, antivirus, etc. You download it, run a little script to create a USB drive, boot from it and it will install openelec on to your HTPC in a few seconds, literally. After that, almost no configuration is needed, possibly some network settings, which you can change through the XBMC GUI. By default it will even create network shares for you etc, its not like you will need to learn a lot of linux. Although SSH is available, of course Smile.

thank you, I'm seriously considering openelec. but that doesn't solve my main problem. Which Hardware should I choose. I guess with openelec I need less power for the OS...

How about drivers in openelec for remotes?

thanks
p
For the E-i5 case, an Intel solution will run with less power and cooler than AMD. You'll still want to upgrade the AC adapter to at least 84W. You need a CPU powerful enough to overcome the DXVA problem if you run Windows which doesn't happen in OpenELEC. Even a G630T however will run everything you've described in your original post with a mini-ITX H61 motherboard like the ASUS P8H61-I R2.0, 4GB DDR3-1333 and an SSD. Whatever CPU you get, you'll need a low-profile CPU cooler, either with a 'T' processor or aftermarket. The A6-3500/A75M-ITX with a low-profile aftermarket cooler is also a good choice for the E-i5 but you'll need the 120W AC adapter for it.
(2013-01-15, 21:45)Poensch Wrote: thank you, I'm seriously considering openelec. but that doesn't solve my main problem. Which Hardware should I choose. I guess with openelec I need less power for the OS...

I will leave that to others, as Im not up to date with x86 hardware. I stopped caring 5 years ago, and my "newest" rigs are still using S775. Plenty fast for me.

But yeah, openelec doesnt require much for itself. In fact, it works reasonably well on my raspberry pi (which is roughly the equivalent of a Pentium 2 300Mhz or so) and it runs like greased lightening on my single core Athlon 64 XBMC box. So anything you can buy today should be plenty fast, the issue is more features and compatibility; things like HD audio over HDMI etc. Since Im not up to date, I will let others comment.

Quote:How about drivers in openelec for remotes?

MCE remotes work out of the box, as do most USB receivers AFAIK. Ive not heard of a remote not working, but you never know. What do you have?

well, one comment on the above advice; if you do go for openelec, there is no need for 4GB. Well, its cheap, so it wont hurt, but 1GB is already overkill. Likewise, you can spare the SSD. It boots from a $5 USB stick in mere seconds, or you can install it on any hdd you wanted to use for media anyway.
(2013-01-15, 17:25)Poensch Wrote: Hello Everybody

I have read different threads now and getting more and more confused. Some of the threads are a little outdated, others just don't exactly have the information I'm looking for.

So I need your help.

Here is what I want:

- An HTPC which can play 3D as I own an Philips 55pfl7007 which should be able to play 3D movies. (That would make me Group 7, I think).

- The system should be as quiet as possible.

- I would just run xbmc on it (I'm new to xbmc, but I just want a nice and easy way to watch my movies and episodes)

- I don't know, if I need an optical drive. Maybe just to play Blueray which I not yet posses.

- I'm not used to linux, so I would use windows as OS.

- The HTPC should be at a reasonable price (~350 € ok?)

- I live in switzerland, but maybe I could get some pieces in Germany, if unavailable in Switzerland

These cases have I in mind (It should be small and have a good look):
- ITX1
- Realan EI5 or EI7 (depend on the optical drive)

I think some cases are hard to get in switzerland!

CPU
- AMD A6-5400k (don't know exactly why, just have seen it often recomended)

Mobo
- Asrock FM2a75M-ITX (although there are some issues reported? Don't now exactly)

RAM
- Absolutely know idea,

SSD
- 64-120gb ssd, no preferred brand.

Infrared
- Is turning on by infrared a must have? I have seen there are several threads about the best remote, this is for the moment not my first priority. I guess there is no dependency on the hardware?

Power
- Is an outside power solution like piccopsu recommended?

Cooling
- Do I need additional cooling?

I would be really happy, if someone could recommend some hardware to me.
Thank you very much

poensch

If I were you I would get the msi itx board don't know exact model and 4gb ddr3 at least 1333 MHz if you can get amazon (.de I presume) you should be able to get that case - but a nice small mATX case and mothrrboard would probably be better

(2013-01-15, 18:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The A6-5400K/FM2A75M-ITX runs much too hot for the Realan E-i5. Also, the FM2A75M-ITX causes problems with the standard power supply for the E-i5/E-i7 and will not run. You need the 180W powerboard or get the cases without a powerboard and use a high-power picoPSU (150 or 160).

+1
(2013-01-16, 01:02)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2013-01-15, 18:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The A6-5400K/FM2A75M-ITX runs much too hot for the Realan E-i5. Also, the FM2A75M-ITX causes problems with the standard power supply for the E-i5/E-i7 and will not run. You need the 180W powerboard or get the cases without a powerboard and use a high-power picoPSU (150 or 160).

+1

+2!

Thank you for your help.

New day, new luck!

Which one of the two following build would you prefer?

Intel i3 2120T
Asrock H61M-ITX

or
AMD A6-3500 APU, 2.1GHz, Socket FM1, 3C/3T (alternative AMD A6-3670K)
ASRock A75 A75M-ITX, AMD A75, Socket FM1, Mini-ITX (Although I don't find that mainboard on stock here in switzerland)

For both
Streacom ST-F1CB EVO, Mini-ITX
2x2GB 1333
60 GB SSD
picopsu -> how much power do I need? (how much do I have to add to the power consumption of the cpu?)

(2013-01-15, 17:25)Poensch Wrote: Here is what I want:

Check.

Quote:- The system should be as quiet as possible.

How about, completely fanless and noiseless?

Quote:- I would just run xbmc on it (I'm new to xbmc, but I just want a nice and easy way to watch my movies and episodes)

Check

Quote:- I don't know, if I need an optical drive. Maybe just to play Blueray which I not yet posses.

Okay, TBH, Im not sure if this is possible with what I have in mind. It might be possible with a USB drive, but I would have to check and I wouldnt count on it, Im just going to assume this isnt a dealbreaker. You can always rip Smile.

Quote:- I'm not used to linux, so I would use windows as OS.

Already discussed, how about "no (apparent) OS" at all? Smile

Quote:- The HTPC should be at a reasonable price (~350 € ok?)

How about,.. €~35 ?
If you think Im nuts, check my sig for a possible solution.
In a mini-ITX build, the i3-2120T. You'd need a 90W picoPSU with 90W adapter for it. Better yet, see if you can find the DH61AG motherboard and a 19V 90W 7.4mm*5.0mm AC adapter. That's what I've built in a very similar case shown here and while it still runs warm it's just fine. I have to believe an A6-3500 would overheat in that case.

My build in that case:
Intel DH61AG mini-itx motherboard
Intel i3-2120T CPU
Dynatron K199 1U CPU cooler
8GB (2 x 4GB) G-Skill DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM RAM
Crucial mSATA 64GB SSD
Sony BC-5600S slot-load blu-ray ODD
Anker 19V 90W AC adapter

I still have two of them Smile.
Running an A10-5700 with FM2A75M-ITX and PicoPSU 150 in a Wesena ITX5 ... only been 2 weeks but no problems (fingers crossed!). May add heatsink to VRM mosfets thou'!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recomendation needed0