Req DRM support?
sorry to be the messenger but with binary and closed source addons,drm content will come to xbmc. Similar to how raspberry Handles mpeg la royalties. So an open payment provider would be a nice addition to xbmc. And i don't see voyager bending toward drm. I think he brings in valuable discussion.
yes, binary addons are the only way DRM will ever be possible - but let's face it - there is atm little to no interest for content providers (I f.e. asked the lovefilm devs on my behalf half a year ago - no answer). And I don't believe any content provider will ever provide binary addons for all the platforms we support - so there will always be users left out. If at all, they might primarily support Windows and Mac (and probably Android via connectors to their native apps), but most likely not linux.
And as long as they don't see any benefit in terms of $$$ they won't do anything.
(2013-01-17, 17:26)Robotica Wrote: sorry to be the messenger but with binary and closed source addons,drm content will come to xbmc. Similar to how raspberry Handles mpeg la royalties. So an open payment provider would be a nice addition to xbmc. And i don't see voyager bending toward drm. I think he brings in valuable discussion.

AS there is no way to lock DRM content to actual hardware IDs like rpi does, I doubt that any provider would touch xbmc for DRM content. Facts of life, they (DRM content providers) have bigger fish to fry than our little universe and they just do not care about the little fish.
(2013-01-17, 18:50)davilla Wrote:
(2013-01-17, 17:26)Robotica Wrote: sorry to be the messenger but with binary and closed source addons,drm content will come to xbmc. Similar to how raspberry Handles mpeg la royalties. So an open payment provider would be a nice addition to xbmc. And i don't see voyager bending toward drm. I think he brings in valuable discussion.

AS there is no way to lock DRM content to actual hardware IDs like rpi does, I doubt that any provider would touch xbmc for DRM content. Facts of life, they (DRM content providers) have bigger fish to fry than our little universe and they just do not care about the little fish.

Might be.. My facts: I think all content providers like free distribution and viewing: see all forks and their content deals. And drm can have many forms. No need to necessarely lock to hardware. Besides, content creators need to make a living.. Even on a free platform like xbmc, which i see as a big fish....
What about the binary add-ons Will this mean that the door is open for DRM?
I believe so. Binary add-ons could allow a middle ground, something that interfaces between a closed source DRM module and the rest of Kodi. So someone like Netflix, if they wanted to, could make a Kodi binary add-on.
an important step would be that a content provider actually get's in touch with us and tells us which changes they might require in addition (like changes to the render/output pipeline they are concerned of etc). Binary add-ons are possible since ages (see PVR add-ons that are around for some years already) - but content providers don't show any interest.
A major issue with binary addons (btw, this is a super old thread) is that while the addon itself might support DRM, the video will likely still have to go through the open source DVDplayer. For content providers who want a completely protected path from source to HDCP-protected HDMI, using DVDPlayer is mostly a non-starter.
that's why I said they need to get in touch with us to see which code path's they might want to have changed. Being opensource doesn't mean the code path couldn't meet their requirements
(2015-04-28, 10:31)da-anda Wrote: an important step would be that a content provider actually get's in touch with us and tells us which changes they might require in addition (like changes to the render/output pipeline they are concerned of etc). Binary add-ons are possible since ages (see PVR add-ons that are around for some years already) - but content providers don't show any interest.

I will ask my internet and cable provider to see if they want to make an add-on for kodi and what they require

(2015-04-28, 13:33)natethomas Wrote: A major issue with binary addons (btw, this is a super old thread) is that while the addon itself might support DRM, the video will likely still have to go through the open source DVDplayer. For content providers who want a completely protected path from source to HDCP-protected HDMI, using DVDPlayer is mostly a non-starter.

In my oppinion a completely protected path is impossible, no DRM can fix that

For example I could use a screen recorder software to record everything that is displayed on the screen

As a last resort I can even use a hanheld camera to record the screen
You're welcome to make that argument, but we've seen absolutely no traction when making it ourselves.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DRM support?0