Need help choosing the right hardware to run XBMC [specific needs]
Quote:Good to hear that. I write here all my suggestions about Minix. I know - unstable XBMC can be annoying. But as I wrote before - always there is an Andriod which is much weaker than XBMC but still have some plugins which can play 720p and 1080p mkv's with no lag at all, of course movies having DD and DTS Smile

I guess thats true. And you can play Angry Birds on it :p
Also looking forward to reading your experience with it.
The problem returns like a boomerang.
I am trying to hold back my Minix Neo X5 order and take my money back.
Why?
Becouse this pretty device is downmixing DD and DTS audio to PCM Stereo. This is huge disadvantage to me. It has optical sound output but it downmixes the audio signal - pretty annoying thing.
I do not know how the seller will replay but I think there will be no problem with money back.
So dear XBMC users.
Which device passes through DD and DTS audio without any problems ?
I may even think about the device which doesnt have an optical audio output - I will use HDMI splitter insted of it.
But another question - will this splitter work without any problems ?
:/ Slowly, I have had enough searching for an optimal device.

I may have a chance of buying Apple TV 1 generation with Crystal HD graphics card - will it pass through audio via optical out ?
I know the disadvantage of this device is the lack of connecting the USB drive - but it has 250Gigs HDD inside which can be replaced.
This hdd is ATA - can I use this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
to be able to connect SATA HDD's ?
Saw this:
https://www.facebook.com/minixtech?filter=2

Quote:Dear Minix. 29 of December 2012 you told that you are checking with Rockchip the possibility to pass audio stream DD and DTS through optical cable (without downmixing it).
Can you please tell me how things work at the moment.
I bought this device to be my multimedia player with home theater cinema Onkyo. I will be very dissapointed if I will not be able to watch a movie with DD or DTS audio. Please answer is there a possibility to pass through audio ?

MINIX They replied that they are working on that. That's all we can tell now as this is all we heard from them.

How long can you hold your breath ? Smile
Yep. Not too long I suppose.
I am freaking out now with this mess.
HDMI splitter is the last thing I want to use because I will have to order it from amazon or ebay and pay horrible shippment cost.
What do you think about this Apple TV 1 with Cristal HD graphic ?
You were in Poland werent you? Try amazon.de. I usually pay ~10 euro shipping to belgium from there. Thats not nothing on a 30 euro device I guess, but hey, what can you do. BTW, I stumbled upon something else that might be interesting, and that you should be able to buy locally:
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/For-Xbox-360...56505da7ac

Yeah, its for an xbox, but an xbox just uses HDMI, I dont see why it wouldnt work with anything else. It says it supports DD5.1 (and therefore should do DTS if you source supplies it), and its dirt cheap. Now Im not quite sure how its supposed to work as I dont see an HDMI out, so I guess you will need a regular HDMI splitter to duplicate the signal, but those are common and cheap too.

As for the ATV1, I have no experience with it. I glanced over the FAQ and didnt see anywhere that there is a problem with USB ports when running Openelec. Are you sure? But I guess the big question for you is if it will do DD/DTS over toslink. If it does, I guess it looks like a decent solution.
I have Xbox360 console. This cable has a plug which only fit to Xbox360 console on the other end you got a component. I had with this console the same problem as here. I cant use HDMI becouse my ampli doesnt have it. So I am using this xbox360 cable to be able to connect console with component to TV(picture) and from this cable-plug I am using optical to ampli and it works great.
Now I am searching the web trying to find an answer is ATV1 passes through audio DD and DTS via optical.
I read somewhere that ATV1 doesnt support USB host - so I am assuming that I will not be able to plug USB HDD - but I am not 100% sure how it works under Linux.
(2013-01-17, 19:46)scOOtt Wrote: I have Xbox360 console. This cable has a plug which only fit to Xbox360 console on the other end you got a component. I had with this console the same problem as here. I cant use HDMI becouse my ampli doesnt have it. So I am using this xbox360 cable to be able to connect console with component to TV(picture) and from this cable-plug I am using optical to ampli and it works great.

I think you misunderstand. The cable I linked will convert HDMI audio to toslink (and analog audio, but you dont need that). Im not suggesting you plug it in your xbox, since its a definately a standard HDMI connector; Im suggesting buy that cable, add a HDMI splitter to duplicate the signal, and then use that cable to convert the audio to toslink like this:

Code:
XBMC -> HDMI splitter -> HDMI input TV
           \->  "xbox" cable -> toslink of your AVR.

Quote:I read somewhere that ATV1 doesnt support USB host - so I am assuming that I will not be able to plug USB HDD - but I am not 100% sure how it works under Linux.

Thats only under OS-X AFAIK. Apple didnt provide USB drivers, you could hack it under OS-X, but it should just work on linux.
(2013-01-16, 18:08)scOOtt Wrote: Hi.
I need to buy/build a hardware to run XBMC on it. The hardware must play mkv 720p and 1080p with any problems via usb-hdd or network.
My specific are:
As small as it can be - size like Raspberry PI or Minix or Cubox will be the best
As I mentioned before - must accept hardware acceleration to be able to play mkv at 720p and 1080p with no lags
Must have an optical audio output as my amplituner receiver does not have hdmi input. Alternate way is usb-card Creative X-Fi Surround which I have - but I read a lot that these cards do not work properly on xbmc.
The price for this device must be something about 150$.
Is there any device on market which meet my requirements ?
Any help will be much appreciated.

I use an AppleTV 1 w/CrystalHD card in my bedroom with OpenELEC and it streams 1080p fine, has optical out, and cost less than $100. For a few more bucks you could replace the original 40gb 5400rpm drive with a ssd or even run from SD or USB.

I have 0 issues with this setup. Highly recommend it.

EDIT: Didn't see the other 2 pages of the thread. Disregard.
(2013-01-17, 21:00)latex_labia Wrote:
(2013-01-16, 18:08)scOOtt Wrote: Hi.
I need to buy/build a hardware to run XBMC on it. The hardware must play mkv 720p and 1080p with any problems via usb-hdd or network.
My specific are:
As small as it can be - size like Raspberry PI or Minix or Cubox will be the best
As I mentioned before - must accept hardware acceleration to be able to play mkv at 720p and 1080p with no lags
Must have an optical audio output as my amplituner receiver does not have hdmi input. Alternate way is usb-card Creative X-Fi Surround which I have - but I read a lot that these cards do not work properly on xbmc.
The price for this device must be something about 150$.
Is there any device on market which meet my requirements ?
Any help will be much appreciated.

I use an AppleTV 1 w/CrystalHD card in my bedroom with OpenELEC and it streams 1080p fine, has optical out, and cost less than $100. For a few more bucks you could replace the original 40gb 5400rpm drive with a ssd or even run from SD or USB.

I have 0 issues with this setup. Highly recommend it.

EDIT: Didn't see the other 2 pages of the thread. Disregard.
Thank mate for that answer.
Do ATV1 passes throught DD or DTS via optical out without downmixing it to stereo ?
Will I be able to connect ATV1 with an optical out to my ampli receiver and have Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS audio ?
As far as I know ATV1 has ATA connectors - how do you connect SSD - it has SATA interface - did you used any sort of adapter ?
How you can add SD card to ATV1
All your help will be much welcome.
If above requirements are meet - I will choose ATV1 as my XBMC and HTPC hardware,

Hi. I found another device which meet my requirements I think.
DELL ZINO HD 410
It has HDMI and Optical S/Pdif audio output.
Someone uses it to run XBMC ?
Does DD/DTS audio passingthrought s/pdif work ?
What do you think about this machine ?
Finally !!
After a lot of searching I found the device which will work out.
ACER ASPIRE REVO 3700
Processor / Chipset

Intel Atom D525 / 1.8 GHz
Dual-Core
Chipset Type Intel NM10 Express

RAM

Installed Size 2.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
Technology DDR3 SDRAM - Non-ECC
Memory Speed 800.0 MHz

Hard Drive

250.0 GB
Interface Type Serial ATA-300
Spindle Speed 5400.0 rpm

Card Reader

Type Card reader
Supported Flash Memory Cards MultiMediaCard,
Memory Stick

Graphics Controller

Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA ION

Input Device

Type Mouse,
Keyboard

Audio Output

Compliant Standards High Definition Audio

Keyboard

Connectivity Wireless

Mouse

Connectivity Wireless

Networking

Type Integrated
Wireless LAN Supported Yes
Data Link Protocol IEEE 802.11g,
IEEE 802.11b,
IEEE 802.11n,
Fast Ethernet,
Gigabit Ethernet,
Ethernet
Compliant Standards IEEE 802.11n,
IEEE 802.11b,
IEEE 802.11g

Expansion / Connectivity

Slots 1.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x PCI Express Mini Card - SO DIMM 204-pin,
2.0 Memory
Interfaces 1.0 x Storage - VGA ( 2 in front ),
1.0 x Hi-Speed USB - eSATA,
6.0 x Network - Input,
1.0 x Headphones - Output,
1.0 x Microphone - HDMI,
1.0 x Audio - SPDIF,
1.0 x Display / video - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T,
1.0 x Audio / video

Power

Device Type Power adapter
Power Provided 65.0 Watt

Operating System / Software

OS Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

I am planning install XBMCbuntu Eden on it.
As far as I read it works well with 720p and 1080p mkv's has an optical audio out which passes through Dolby Digital and DTS sound after uninstalling PulseAudio.

I paid for it 240$. It is brand new device.
So I think this was the best choice.

Anyone uses it ?
Please feel free to post about your thoughts.
Best regards
Do yourself a favor and install openelec on it. Ive had almost nothing but trouble with xbmcbuntu, and it wasnt even on ION.
Openelec has specific builds for ion, should be plug and play.

Other than that, I guess its a decent box, though a bit expensive for what it is IMO.
(2013-01-18, 17:45)Vertigo Wrote: Do yourself a favor and install openelec on it. Ive had almost nothing but trouble with xbmcbuntu, and it wasnt even on ION.
Openelec has specific builds for ion, should be plug and play.

Other than that, I guess its a decent box, though a bit expensive for what it is IMO.
Thank you for that replay. I rely on your opinion. I will install Openelec.
Could you please tell me if the instalation procedure is complicated ?
Can I install it along with Windows 7 which is preinstalled on this machine ?
Any FAQ would be very welcome.
Best regards
(2013-01-18, 17:48)scOOtt Wrote: Could you please tell me if the instalation procedure is complicated ?

Very.

Assuming you use windows, you have to create a boot stick first. To do that, you have to download a file, extract the archive, then double click on the installer:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...ab=Windows

Then boot the HTPC from the USB stick the above installer created and press enter twice to install it onto the HTPC drive or on to a second USB stick.

/end sarcasm

Quote:Can I install it along with Windows 7 which is preinstalled on this machine ?

You probably can, but without any sarcasm, that might actually be rather tricky. Like I said a few times already tho, you can install openelec onto a (second) USB stick and boot from that. You can leave the windows drive intact. To dual boot between windows and openelec, just insert or remove the stick.
Thank you very much Vertigo. How can I give you a reputation point ? Smile
I've already found instructions how to dualboot between openelec and windows from one hdd drive.
I do not want to use usb sticks as they are much slower than HDD drive.
I suppose to have Revo on Tuesday.
I will report here all my thoughts about it.
Once again - thank you all for the help provided.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help choosing the right hardware to run XBMC [specific needs]1