Newbie Dumb User Question
I purchased a raspberri pi with xbmc 12 preinstalled.
I did not buy it for hacking the thing, but just to be a dumb user, enyoi the movies on my harddisk.
Just like a normal family hustband / father. Not being technicall skilled in computer science at all.
( I can mow the lawn however Smile )

Is this forum somehow controlled by the people who design the xbmc ?

I did connect the cables and power it on.
And it works. That was really great.

Remote Control.
This was painfull. I wanted to use the phone and tablet.
Mainly tablet, since I have different glasses, and I cannot see the text on
the remote ( or phone ) when watching tv Smile
It turned out I had to scan the picture found via this web site, and then
do some magic on the tablet to get this thing installed.
This is too complicated.
The app for scanning this strange pictures did not use the camera on the back of the tablet, and I ended up trying to get the camera working, and making a picture of the computer screen for installing an app to control the xbmc.
This is NOT user friendly, and I hope the new app will be available via the normal channel, the app-store or whatever.
Then tweak some port settings etc. etc. Why does the default not work ? Except from usual config like ip and user name. ( altough it should not be that difficult to find xbmc devices on a network, since a simple printer can do stuff like that )

I managed to do it on the end, but I am worried about the future. If the remote does not work, ( Or something else) it will
consume a lot of time to find the cause on a forum etc. The people on the forum seem to think all users spend
their time reading forums, which is not.

The weather application is only in Farenheit. I have no idea about the temperature in Fahrenheid. I use celcius, but I am unable to change this. Suggestion please.

I am unable to figure out how to play and add, handle a dvd rip.
It is a little bit complicated. I have to browse to the directory, and select, add a name, and then I am lost.
The iso, I cannot select at all.
The previous test on a lubuntu laptop (version 11 did play the same dvd rip )
The mkv file will play fine.
A blue ray rip is a disaster, sound and video are out of sync, and the film is not playing very well ( Maybe due to bandwith over the network )
Please explain how it should work, Or what and how I have to do it.

From my dumb user perspective I would like to select a directory, and let the "thing" scan the directory, which give a list of playable movies, and those will play when I select one and press play.

I am in general very happy with the device.
It will be used to replace the very unreliable dvd player, which seems to be too difficult to perform as promised.
Freaky event was the ease to browse via nfs to my computer, and browse on it without any problem. Those things make me happy.
Very good image quality. and very nice looking menu. It is a pleasure to use.

Please respond on how to use it most easy on selecting the dvd rip's and / or iso files.

Regards,

Floppy.

Welcome to the XBMC forums.

I don't own an RPi, so I can't answer your questions specific to that device. However, for the temperature, do the following starting from the XBMC home page: System/Settings > Appearance > International. Set your locale information here and the temperature scale should change to Celsius in Weather.
Thanks, I will try that.

I hope my other questions will be answered too Smile

Regards,

Floppy
I have no idea what you're talking about for the remote. You had to take a picture of a remote for it to work?? Huh?
(2013-01-17, 19:55)Ned Scott Wrote: I have no idea what you're talking about for the remote. You had to take a picture of a remote for it to work?? Huh?

Sounds like a QR code linking to the Android app.

Quite possibly http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcremote/
(2013-01-17, 11:30)floppy Wrote: This is NOT user friendly, and I hope the new app will be available via the normal channel, the app-store or whatever.
If you're referring to the Frodo version of the Android remote, it is currently a test version and, as such, is not intended for general use and, for this reason, is not yet made available in any app store. If you want to be "bleeding edge" and test out this new version of the app (and provide feedback to its developers), there is no requirement to use the QR code; there's also a hyperlink to the apk on the forum thread announcing this test app. The previous version of this app is available via app stores, so there's no reason not to expect the same for the Frodo version once it's ready-for-primetime.
Quote:I managed to do it on the end, but I am worried about the future. If the remote does not work, ( Or something else) it will
consume a lot of time to find the cause on a forum etc.
There's a thread devoted specifically to this remote app, so just read or ask there if you have questions or encounter issues: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147741
Quote:The people on the forum seem to think all users spend their time reading forums, which is not.
The "people on the forum" are mostly people like you and me. This is a community-based forum, so we help each other out wherever/whenever we can, and nobody gets paid to do this... not even the developers of XBMC. No one expects users to spend a lot of time reading the forums, but it would certainly help those who do spend a lot of time helping others on the forums if more people would spend at least some time searching/reading the forums and the wiki before asking a question... because there's a likelihood that that particular question may have been asked (and perhaps answered) umpteen times already.

(2013-01-17, 22:11)artrafael Wrote: If you're referring to the Frodo version of the Android remote, it is currently a test version and, as such, is not intended for general use and, for this reason, is not yet made available in any app store. If you want to be "bleeding edge" and test out this new version of the app (and provide feedback to its developers), there is no requirement to use the QR code; there's also a hyperlink to the apk on the forum thread announcing this test app. The previous version of this app is available via app stores, so there's no reason not to expect the same for the Frodo version once it's ready-for-primetime.

You might be right about that, however, I just bought the raspberry with xbmc installed on it.
I did buy this, after a testrun of xbmc on a laptop.
And discovered thing are little different. I did not preread this forum.
From your perspective you are right. And from my perspective, it is troublesome.
If I have to revert to pre-Frodo, it will take a lot of time again, to get it on the card.
And a lot of knowledge and posible some hardware.

Quote:There's a thread devoted specifically to this remote app, so just read or ask there if you have questions or encounter issues: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147741
Via that tread I found a qr image wich needed to be scanned. I don't dare to try to get a file downloaded on my tablet and try to install it
from there. It is more an example why simple things can get very complicated, and time consuming.

Quote:The "people on the forum" are mostly people like you and me. This is a community-based forum, so we help each other out wherever/whenever we can, and nobody gets paid to do this... not even the developers of XBMC. No one expects users to spend a lot of time reading the forums, but it would certainly help those who do spend a lot of time helping others on the forums if more people would spend at least some time searching/reading the forums and the wiki before asking a question... because there's a likelihood that that particular question may have been asked (and perhaps answered) umpteen times already.

A faq is a good thing. The more answers in a faq, the more difficult it is to find it.
Best thing is to real solve problems, and not create work arounds.
That's why I also ask, if developers also are involved in this forum.

I just jumped into this forum, because I have problems. I actually did not want to go here in the first place.
Finding something on the forum also require some knowledge about how forums etc. working.
And on big forums very time consuming.

Look around, and just pick someone.
Ask him/her to find a solution on a forum ....
This 'someone' is me.

Please take my note not as a complain. I am really happy if you can help me.
But I also want some assurance, the energy I put in, will be used.

Sorry if I am a little 'unpolite'

Now I still have some problem with the Frodo version.
Yesterday I watched a movie, a matruska file.
Once I had to restart the whole thing, and next I could not find hoe to skip the film to the last played position. "Next chapter" did close the film.
Fast foreward did not work.
The directory with VOB files etc, is still very confusing.
Should this work with Frodo ?
What about the "upgrading" ? Is it upgrading/updating while playing a movie ?

Is the Pre Frodo, I think I read about it is version 11 ? is it working on a Raspberry better than the Frodo version ?
What is the best way to get the raspberry pi to work without major problems ?
(And keep me away from the forum Smile )
Is there a user manual for dummy's ( I really have searched for it, but all documents are very technical, but not describe how to operate the xbmc software, how to select a film etc. )

The Temperature problem is solved. That is great.

Regards,
Floppy
I decide to install frodo on lubuntu to see what exactly is working and not, without being behind the tv at home.

I found:
HOW-TO:Install XBMC for Linux
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins..._for_Linux

From Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) to 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal), you can install from the team-xbmc PPA as follows or
replace the ppa with the desired from above

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...ce/Sources 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...6/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...s/quantal/..........
does not exist!!!
Via this path (checked in browser) only
[DIR] feisty/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] gutsy/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] hardy/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] intrepid/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] jaunty/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] karmic/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] lucid/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] maverick/ 11-Feb-2011 22:17 -
[DIR] natty/ 23-Mar-2012 22:45 -
[DIR] oneiric/ 23-Mar-2012 22:45 -
[DIR] precise/ 23-Mar-2012 23:59 -
exist.

Again, I am a dummy, and do just as what is described.
As far as remote apps go, I recommend Yatse for Android (available in the google play store) and the "Unofficial" Official XBMC app for iOS available in the app store.

They are both very easy to setup. Click add host, scan for XBMC, when it finds XBMC on your network click save/add. That's it.
Brilliant
Yatse works. (Scanning not, but might be caused by frodo and strange netwerk settings on my mobile)
Thanks Lowridin_guy.

I also found the frodo version for ubuntu.too. On the member page of Wolfgang Schupp.
Great, very confusing but I found it.
first I had to install the:
xbmc-bin_12.0-git20130103.0959-rc3-0quantal_i386.deb
then:
xbmc_12.0-git20130103.0959-rc3-0quantal_all.deb
Then it works.

xbmc_12.0-git20130103.0959-rc3-0quantal_all.deb
Then it works.
i know you said sorry for it.. but you are coming across "unpolite" to say the least.
I know, and this is because I can get very frustrated if things don't work as I expect.
This happens more and more. And might be caused by aging.
I hoped on something just to install and work, not spending a lot of time on it.

The raspberry i have upgraded to rc3.
It is working, movie films only.
I still don't understand the mechanism on how to search and select movie files.

Rest is just not working. (plugins, add-ons etc. )
I tried to install XOT:Uzg - Rieter.NET without success.
I managed to download and browse to the zip file, but it complain about wrong type.

i would say , for beginner starting with XBMC you should read the xbmc wiki as you find answers for most of your questions.
no offense but I think is not a real point to post and write here what is already done and even better
Very good. I will not post this.

I will try to find a lot of time to read the tons of information nessesary to setup this thing.
And will not spoil your forum and waist your pressures time anymore.

Hopefully some day some one will make it really simple to operate, without the complete knowledge about how its internals works.

Regards,

(2013-01-21, 00:41)floppy Wrote: Very good. I will not post this.

I will try to find a lot of time to read the tons of information nessesary to setup this thing.
And will not spoil your forum and waist your pressures time anymore.

Hopefully some day some one will make it really simple to operate, without the complete knowledge about how its internals works.

Regards,

Wow you need some manners and appreciate others.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie Dumb User Question0