Fullscreen rounding of fonts
First off I'll say this definitely isn't XBMC's fault, but I hope someone here might know what the problem is.

This is Eden over HDMI, Radeon 6870, 1080p. When XBMC is true fullscreen, fonts are slightly rounded, like this:

When they should look like this, which is how it appears in fullscreen window mode:

I've tried a few skins and the problem is still there. I want to use true fullscreen because sometimes the taskbar remains visible when I launch XBMC in fullscreen window mode. What's the problem here?

I know it isn't XBMC, because when I took screenshots in the two modes, they were exactly the same (no blurring, sharp as they should be).

The desktop looks fine, sharp as it should be, and there is no scaling or graphic presets set up in the AMD Control Center. I've only noticed this behaviour with XBMC. Any ideas?
I'll add as well that there is no post-processing set on my TV (DNR etc.). It does apply a specific configuration to HDMI inputs set as 'PC' inputs, but when I removed that setting it made no difference.
Bump
In one mode the screen resolution is massaged and the image size is interpolated (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutoria...lation.htm) and the other is displayed with less interference. Exactly were this occurs is not clear, but if your settings are 1:1 pixel on your display (keep in mind very few displays have this true feature) and bypass the internal overscan chips (the culprit in most sets) you should get 1 pixel displayed for each pixel sent, not an algorithmic approximation of what it should be. XBMC just takes the EDID information for the full screen, and your PC sends out the signal dutifully. (I'm not going to bring the ATI overscan issues into this, that can be searched separately).

Let's say you have a video 1920 x 1080, on a 1080p monitor, every pixel to the edge is seen, pass that along to a 1080p 1:1 aspect LCD flat panel and it should be the same, but alas most TV manufactures and broadcasters adhere to this old overscan principal of 10% oversize to hide digital non picture information even though the days of the cathode ray tube are well behind us, the old standard rears it's head (it should be noted that with each digital frame sent there still is a small amount of data encoded, but nothing like 10%, and can sometimes be seen as bouncing line at the top of the display) but it's this very issue that is at the heart of the problem. For all TV's designed to date, the image received goes through this interpolation computer chip to some degree unless there is a bypass (1:1 aspect) and while some panels have a 'just scan' mode it might not adhere to this if the signal sent appears to be an alternate video source like a DVD-player and this is where I suspect your issue lies, as new parameters are sent with a full screen. On some sets, I understand it's possible to fool the display into acting as if it's handling 1:1 by connecting to the panel with a 1920 X1080 under a PC connection then switching the display source without powering down, I've done it once and it wasn't worth the effort. I further understand that some service menu's can by-pass all of this... (Caution playing here though).

The reason all of this is done..to make sure the consumer never see's what's behind the curtain.. (dancing data-bits). More on the extended display identification data (EDID) chip and some good reading at this link http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdmi1.htm

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fullscreen rounding of fonts0