Speed of MySQL database on server vs local
I currently have 3 machines running XBMC. Each currently has its own database that I keep more or less up to date but one, an Acer Revo Aspire, is slow scraping and especially opening and sorting my music library. I don't recall the actual number but my music library has something in the order of 85,000 tracks. My server's something of a beast with plenty of RAM and i have a fast network so I'm pretty sure it could serve data faster than the Revo could sort it out. On the other hand my everyday TV HTPC has a fast CPU, SSD and also more RAM than necessary so it can rip through stuff very quickly, including the music library.

Question is, would XBMC's performance using a common SQL database be noticeably different on my everyday HTPC if I did so? The server also has a SSD the database would be stored on, and I would likely cache the entire database in RAM. Thoughts?
Just to clear this up:
MySQL - network
SQL - local, what XBMC already uses normally

MySQL will always be slower because your accessing it over the network. I personally do not notice the slowdown.
(2013-01-18, 05:31)Ned Scott Wrote: Just to clear this up:
MySQL - network
SQL - local, what XBMC already uses normally

MySQL will always be slower because your accessing it over the network. I personally do not notice the slowdown.

Right - it is MySQL I'm running on the server (just being thrifty with my letters...). I assumed the fast computer would take a bit of a performance hit but I had no idea how much. How big is your database?

I don't know anything about the MySQL server other than how to install it but assume XBMC sends the query to the server which runs it and returns the results back to XBMC. In this case the network solution should be faster than local results on the Revo, which isn't particularly fast and has a relatively slow hard drive. Does this sound right? Thx
I personally have a fairly small library of about 300 movies.
All my media (about 260 HD movies, 2500 HD TV episodes, and about 4500 mp3 audio files) are stored on my QNAP NAS TS410. The NAS also has MySQL running it on for my central DB for my ATV's and RPi.

The TS410 spec is only a meagre Marvel 800MHz CPU with 256MB of DDR2 Memory.

With Frodo RC3 installed it all runs fine for me - no noticable difference between local DB on the ATV's and the MySQL central setup.

(Everything is on wired Solwise powerline adapters - rated at 200Mb - monitoring SW for then show then running at approx 160-180 Mb)
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
It depends greatly on the connection speed to the server

With gigabit, I do not notice any difference between local vs mysql

However, 100Mbit/s is slower, wifi N is even slower, wifi G is too slow for my taste and powerline is between 100Mbit and wifi N/G depending on reception

Anything less than gigabit connection, I notice a delay in entering the library. I have a decent sized library with close to 1000 movies. on wifi G it takes up to 15-20 seconds to enter
Thanks guys. I have a gigabit network so i think my transfer speeds are as good as you'd see in a house. I've also got about 1000 movies and they come up immediately. It's the music library where things slow down for me on the Revo and this is where I'd like to be able to speed things up. I think my database file is currently about 3.5 GB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed of MySQL database on server vs local0