Help! How do I use smbup
Hello there everyone. Please bear with me cos I'm really new at this and haven't a clue what I'm doing. I have a Sony Bravia TV that's connected to my home network and I want it to be able to see the movie folder on my Mac desktop so that I can play files from it directly onto my TV without having to first copy the movie onto a USB drive.

So I was told by the knowledgeable tecchie guy at my neighbourhood shop that I needed to download smbup, which I have done. But I have no idea what to do from there. I've tried clicking on the Go button and doing connecting to my server, but that doesn't work. After trying for a while, I get a window that says the server can't be found. I have no idea what to do or how to do it.

Looking for a tutorial online but so far I haven't found anything to help except for the tutorial that told me to click on Go and try to connect to server. Can someone please help me? Thanks very much

I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.2
Does your TV support Upnp?
If so, download XBMC, scan everything to a library and turn on Upnp-service in XBMC.
Voila, you can now stream everything you have on your computer on your TV (if they are on the same network of course).

Upnp = DLNA.
@miappa

Actually uPnP is not same as DLNA in short IIRC:

uPnP = Protocol
DLNA = A specification (for Certified devices)

XBMC uPnP server is DLNA compatible which means its supports the DLNA specifications or guidelines.

@godette Welcome to forums.

There's a guide on how to configure and install smbup see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=SMBUp

uNi
True uni... but why complicate things . Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help! How do I use smbup0