HTPC Build - HD4000 vs GT610?
Question 
Hi All --

I'm finally building an HTPC again with desires to use Sick Beard and other apps to create an entertainment hub for the family. The last time I touched XBMC was when it actually ran on my xbox 10 years ago, so I'm looking forward to getting back into it!

I plan to stream 1080p + Bitstream to my Pioneer Elite AVR as well as have this machine be the downloader for newsgroups, etc. No gaming needs or plans at all. I need ease of use for the family so my next step is to tackle the keyboard/mouse/remote and IR pieces.

First major question I have, should I go with the Pentium G2120 + GeForce GT610 or the i3-3225 + HD 4000 Graphics? I'm going to start with a Linux build at first to save costs on the Windows license.

Here's the rig so far;

Case: SILVERSTONE Black ML03B Micro ATX Media Center
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
Boot Drive: OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-64G 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CPU #1: Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33225

- or -

CPU #2: Intel Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80637G2120
Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-N610SL-1GI GeForce GT 610 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card

It needs to be quiet, boot fast and be quiet ;-)

Next research area is the keyboard/mouse/remote/ir area. I already have a Harmony 910 that I hope to continue to use.

Thanks in advance!
Nvidia has by far the best htpc features. There is a great summary of current cards here

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/my...296#536296
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I would use onboard graphics.
I also find it funny that you are talking about downloading from newsgroups and such and they say linux to save money on windows..
why onboard?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
For 1080p, there will be no difference in video quality between HD4000 or GT610. You have a better chance of satisfying your "quiet" requirement with just using the onboard GPU since there will be one less to component to cool.
hd4000 kicks gt610-640s ass :p
nvidia has far better deinterlacing support.

nvidia drivers have many benefits for an HTPC owner:

great EDID support
fixing overscan
support for all the right framerates
It seems the 610 might not be good enough for some features, but it seems to be the only one I can get fanless that will fit easily in the case.

I'm on the fence which way to go now.
I have build mine around Zotac D2550 mini-itx board with integrated gt610. It is low power and since i do not need too mush raw proc power i have choose atom one. Replaced stock vent with noctua one 12cm slim. I am still using ordinary 2,5 disk but prefer WD one because they are silent and can do some APM stuff. I have also implemented DVD drive which uses one internal USB port on motherboard so i still have one sata or. esata free. I will lso integrate xir in it so it can be powered on from ir even from state s5 and reseted any-time.
I have it in http://www.minicase.net/product_E-Q5.html case and only disk can be heard from close otherwise not hearable.
Even the G2120 without a discrete GPU will do what you want. There's no need for the GT610 unless you have something like illiac4's motherboard where it's pairing the D25x0 with a GT610M because the integrated GPU on the Atom is horrible and unsupported.

For what you want to do there is no advantage to a discrete GPU.
(2013-01-21, 02:32)Zentos Wrote: It seems the 610 might not be good enough for some features, but it seems to be the only one I can get fanless that will fit easily in the case.

I'm on the fence which way to go now.

I had a look on google and found a range of GT620 cards whith passive cooling.

Ebuyer supply for about £45 inc delivery. There are cheaper suppliers but I've never heard of them.

Link to card at ebuyer

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build - HD4000 vs GT610?0