Mini-ITX Build with Celeron 847 or Intel NUC
Video 
Hello,

I'm in the process of building my first mini-itx HTPC and I want some opinions of the community to find the best balanced configuration.
I don't care for a optical dvd/bluray drive, I just want to stream locally and over the internet the content. The machine should be capable of playing everything I throw at it.

Here's everything I gathered so far:

Custom build
[CASE] Streacom F1C Evo (~88€)
[MOBO] ASUS C8HM70-i/HDMI (84€)
[SSD] Mini PCI-e Crucial 32GB (~50€)
[RAM] 2x4GB DDR3 (already have it)
[PSU] PicoPSU 90w Power Supply & 60w external PSU (62€)
Total: ~284€

Alternative: Intel NUC
[BAREBONE] Intel NUC (~300€)
[RAM] 2x4GB DDR3 (already have it)
[SSD] Mini PCI-e Crucial 32GB (~50€)
Total: ~350€

I have some questions now:
- What power supply should I choose? I guess the case doesn't have one, right?
- I want to use OpenElec, will I have any trouble with this CPU/iGPU combo? I discovered about this CPU in Dougie Fresh's thread
- Am I able to suspend/wake up the machine from a remote with this board?
- What RF remote do you guys recommend? I want to be able to use the remote without pointing it.

That's all for now I guess.. thanks! Smile
For the power supply, the lowest 80W picoPSU (or 90W if it is the same price since with the 90W comes with the CPU P4 plug but the 80W may or may not) with 60W adapter will be more than enough.
I've got a message into ECS about the NM70-TI. If I hear something I will post it in the main Celeron 847 thread.
Thanks a lot for the replies.

@dougie Fresh
Will this one do? ebay link

@PobjoySpecial
I've been searching a lot in this forums, there's cheaper solutions like android and raspberry pi, but all of them have some drawbacks. Do you have any recommendation?
If I use XBMCbuntu will I still have the de-interlacing problem? Is there a solution software wise? Maybe I'll have to use windows.

The CIR header you talk about is in the motherboard? If it is, do you have an alternative?

EDIT: Considering the current price of my build I might opt for an Intel NUC which would cost me around 300 EUR, I already have the ram so I just have to spend more 40/50 EUR for a mini pci-e ssd.
For the playing content the raspberry pi fit my needs. The only drawback for me is about the navigation and the speed of the overall system, it's too slow.
I run OpenELEC from a 16GB USB stick -- no SSD involved. I think I paid $10 for it.

@PobjoySpecial
I ended up ordering the Raspberry Pi, you did a good job convincing me.
For the price it's more than enough. I've also ordered a power supply as I'm not sure how is it powered by the TV. Can you tell me something about that?

Thanks!
Thank you PobjoySpecial.

Btw, do you know if any generic IR usb receiver I buy in ebay will work with my Apple Remote (silver/alu)? I want to use it, I don't like bulky remotes with hundreds of buttons, I like it simple.
I see a lot of info about IR remotes, but I'm not sure if any generic IR usb will work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini-ITX Build with Celeron 847 or Intel NUC1