Best power saving configuration
HellOo

I am using Xbmc Frodo RC3 on two Windows 8 computers.

The configuration is as follows.

Computer 1:
Argus-TV server is running as TV server
Some public shares with movies and photos
Xbmc Frodo client

Computer 2:
Xbmc Frodo client

Computer 2 sends WOL to Computer 1 every two minutes to make sure Computer 1 is awake.
Computer 1 shall always be awake when Computer 2 is awake.
Computer 2 has Xbmc Powersaving enabled and is hibernated after five minutes of inactivity.

What is the best configuration for Computer 1?
Argus-TV wakes the computer up for recordings and prevents it from going to sleep when recording.

I have not enabled Xbmc powersaving on that computer.
If I do that will Computer 2Confused WOL packet prevent Computer 1 from going to sleep even if no other activity is active on computer 1 except from receiving the WOL packets?
If I disable Xbmc powersaving on computer 1, will it go to sleep anyway or is Xbmc keeping the computer awake anyway?
I do not want the Xbmc powersaving to close Xbmc when inactive because my kids dont know how to start it. It shall always be on when they turn on the computer or if it is activate because it has not yet entered standby.

What will be the best configuration to get both computer 1 and 2 to enter standby as much as possible during inactivity?

/Erik
I have now tried to enable the powers aving option on Computer 1.
Computer 1 is put to sleep after some minutes but the problem is that it does that even if I watch a movie from Computer 2 and that movie is located on one of Computer 1Confused shares. Even if Computer 2 sends WOL packets every two minutes. Computer 1 will wake up when the next WOL packet is sent but then the movie has already stoped on Computer 2. I do not think that sending more WOL packets will solve it because there is always some state where Computer 1 tries to go to sleep.

If I disable the powersaving on Computer 1 it does never go to sleep.

I have been running Mediaportal for some years now with the exact same configuration. I used to let Windows own power settings handle the power saving,
But that does not work using Xbmc.

Any suggestion how to solve it?
It could not be unique to have on pc acting both as server and client and on just as client.

/Erik
I think that the Power saving plugin should reset its timer every time the computer receives a WOL packet.
Then computer 2 could send a packet every two minutes and Computer 1 has its timer set to five minutes.
As long as Computer 2 sends its wol packets computer 1 timer will never reach five minutes as long as Computer 2 is awake.

/Erik

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best power saving configuration0