What's the cheapest xbmc build?
(2013-01-22, 03:17)cpmiller22 Wrote: Just curious, why do you say no atoms? For $220 you could get a Zbox that has plenty of horse power to run xbmc very nicely. You get hdmi, sd reader, internal drive support, gig Ethernet, wifi, spdf, lots of USB, etc... It's based on the NM10 chipset and ION which have great support.
http://m.buy.com/product/details/220923098?listingID=-1
I've been running an ID40 with openelec and have been very happy with the performance.

Think the requirement to run Aeon might be the reason an Atom isn't an option?
(2013-01-22, 04:58)noggin Wrote: Think the requirement to run Aeon might be the reason an Atom isn't an option?
Say what? I'm running Openelec 3.0 beta with Aeon Nox 4.0.9 on an atom/ion Zotac Mag. Runs great. Plays everything. Plenty snappy.
Is the one you have now a D525 + ION2?

The new Celeron mobile boards are nice if you need to fit something into a really small case. If you have a small case with a little bit more room, you can also do the desktop Celeron + H61 mini-ITX motherboard. A really nice build right now is the Pentium G640T + Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.

I'd stay away from FM2 in a super small case. The smallest case I am ok with putting a Trinity build in is the E-i7.
(2013-01-22, 04:58)noggin Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 03:17)cpmiller22 Wrote: Just curious, why do you say no atoms? For $220 you could get a Zbox that has plenty of horse power to run xbmc very nicely. You get hdmi, sd reader, internal drive support, gig Ethernet, wifi, spdf, lots of USB, etc... It's based on the NM10 chipset and ION which have great support.
http://m.buy.com/product/details/220923098?listingID=-1
I've been running an ID40 with openelec and have been very happy with the performance.

Think the requirement to run Aeon might be the reason an Atom isn't an option?
Correct

(2013-01-22, 05:28)mr.sparkle Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 04:58)noggin Wrote: Think the requirement to run Aeon might be the reason an Atom isn't an option?
Say what? I'm running Openelec 3.0 beta with Aeon Nox 4.0.9 on an atom/ion Zotac Mag. Runs great. Plays everything. Plenty snappy.
Really? What model?

(2013-01-22, 05:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Is the one you have now a D525 + ION2?

The new Celeron mobile boards are nice if you need to fit something into a really small case. If you have a small case with a little bit more room, you can also do the desktop Celeron + H61 mini-ITX motherboard. A really nice build right now is the Pentium G640T + Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.

I'd stay away from FM2 in a super small case. The smallest case I am ok with putting a Trinity build in is the E-i7.

If I could find a cheap itx mb and case that would be a great option Smile
So I've come up with some suggestions:

1.The cheapest option available of celeron in my country:
ZOTAC ZBOX NANO ID61 CELERON 867
2079kr = 371,25$

2.The cheapest option available of atom + nvidia in my country
ZOTAC ZBOX ID84 ATOM D2550 1.86 2GB/320 GT520M
2509kr = 448$

3.The cheapest ivy build i could put together:
FRACTAL DESIGN MINITOWER CORE 1000 BLACK M-ATX
279kr = 49,8$
INTEL CELERON G465 1.9GHZ 1.5MB S-1155
289kr = 51,6$
KINGSTON 2GB 1600MHZ DDR3 CL9 HYPERX BLU
99kr = 17,67$
MSI B75MA-P45 B75 S-1155 M-ATX IVY
499kr = 89,1$
Total of 1166kr = 208,2$

4.The cheapest fm2 build i could put together:
FRACTAL DESIGN MINITOWER CORE 1000 BLACK M-ATX
279kr = 49,8$
AMD A-SERIES X2 A4-5300 3.4GHZ SOCKET FM2 BOX
379kr = 67,67$
KINGSTON 2GB 1600MHZ DDR3 CL9 HYPERX BLU
99kr = 17,67$
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 A55 S-FM2 M-ATX
399kr = 71,25$
Total of 1156kr = 206,4$

Now all these have compromises:
+ It's tiny
+ low power
- It's supposed to be noisy
- I'm locked in to open elec
- NO hd bit-streaming due to the elec lock in with xbmc
- It's expensive
- no games
+ It's tiny
+ low power
+ dGPU from nvidia so it can run anything
+ hd bit-streaming in any os
- It's supposed to be noisy
- It's expensive
- no games
+ cheap
+ Powerful compared to mobile cpus
+ low power
+ quiet
+ option to add dGPU
+ not locked to any os
- large compared to the zboxes
- no hd bit-streaming in linux
- weak compared to the fm2 build
- no games
+ cheap
+ Powerful compared to the others
+ not locked to any os
+ option to add dGPU
+ can play some games
+ quiet

So I'm leaning to number 4 due to the extra power and low price

PS:
As you might have noticed I did not add hdd or psu; this is because i have a psu that i could reuse, the reason for me not adding the hdd is that a was thinking about running the os from a usb stick.
Quote:The 802.11g standard for wireless networking supports a maximum bandwidth of 54 Megabits per second (Mbps).
15,12Megabits = 28% of maximum bandwidth Smile

The g standard might even do up to 36,57GB files - close to a full BD rip with all content...

As far as I'm aware wireless is half duplex so its half 54mbps...
Not sure why we're comparing 802.11g here as n is as cheap these days and more capable?

Just saying that my net-book with 'g' can stream full HD so why wouldn't a newer 'n' capable receiver do to...
Problem is that although the net-book streams full HD the CPU cant handle it and stutters while playing it - therefore I'm looking to replace it.
(2013-01-22, 15:45)RaggSokk3n Wrote: 4.
+ cheap
+ Powerful compared to the others
+ not locked to any os
+ option to add dGPU
+ can play some games
+ quiet

So I'm leaning to number 4 due to the extra power and low price

PS:
As you might have noticed I did not add hdd or psu; this is because i have a psu that i could reuse, the reason for me not adding the hdd is that a was thinking about running the os from a usb stick.

From what I've read if you add a GT 610 like this you could Hd bitstream in Linux as nvidia drivers allow this. Pretty sure would work in Openelec too.

(2013-01-22, 16:18)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Just saying that my net-book with 'g' can stream full HD so why wouldn't a newer 'n' capable receiver do to...
Problem is that although the net-book streams full HD the CPU cant handle it and stutters while playing it - therefore I'm looking to replace it.

Are you sure its the CPU? I've streamed 1080p mkvs to mine and they start fine but when you try and skip/fast forward or rewind it all goes a bit wrong. A cheap 802.11 n 150mbps usb adapter solved this...
I had trouble streaming HD over N when both the HTPC and the server PC were sharing the wireless bandwidth (since neither are withing easy reach of the router). To solve the problem I got one of those "network over power line" gadgets for the server->router route, then the HTPC can gobble up all the bandwidth for the router-> HTPC trip.
I actually get a free gt610 from my distributor i use, if i buy a msi motherboard this month (ironically the gpu is from asus)

Already tried a n adapter - no change...

(2013-01-22, 17:04)blakflag Wrote: I had trouble streaming HD over N when both the HTPC and the server PC were sharing the wireless bandwidth (since neither are withing easy reach of the router). To solve the problem I got one of those "network over power line" gadgets for the server->router route, then the HTPC can gobble up all the bandwidth for the router-> HTPC trip.

I have my entire house covered with cat 6a except the bedrooms so the only computer using wifi is the htpc in the bedroom...

Probably not the router either - using a asus rt-n66u Smile
Just another "Why no atom/ion?" comment - I have a Foxconn 330i running 1080p and Aeon just fine...and that's in Windows 7, not even an OpenElec setup. Not sure where you're getting your requirements from.
(2013-01-22, 20:06)Necromancyr Wrote: Just another "Why no atom/ion?" comment - I have a Foxconn 330i running 1080p and Aeon just fine...and that's in Windows 7, not even an OpenElec setup. Not sure where you're getting your requirements from.

Quote:Chipset nVIDIA MCP7A-ION chipset

Need I say more?
(2013-01-22, 20:52)PobjoySpecial Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 16:18)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Just saying that my net-book with 'g' can stream full HD so why wouldn't a newer 'n' capable receiver do to...

If your computer can't play the stream properly, how could you know your network could handle the stream?

The ID61 seems like the better choice. Having a bulky space heater in a bedroom doesn't sound very enticing... Confused

Tested on 'n' 150mbs with my i3 3220 build and works like a charm Smile
I have an Acer Revo r3700 (atom/ion2) it has been running Aeon Nox just fine since the day I got it (enabling dirty regions took cpu use down from 25-30% to 8-10% on Nox),
it streams full uncompressed blurays wirelessly just fine (I did though add a usb high gain wireless N dongle to it as the inbuilt wireless was very weak, which cost me around £15).
As an XBMC box it is great but the weak cpu is not much good for anything else apart from very basic pc stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the cheapest xbmc build?0