How-To: select non-library file for one time playback?
Sorry, n00b question that I couldn't find an answer to, Google, wiki or here in the forums... (coming from a Boxee for PC background)

There are certain things I download that I only wish to view once, and then will be deleting (eg. sports events).

How do I go about watching these types of files in XBMC? It seems clunky to have to add the file to my library, watch it, then delete/remove it afterwards.

In Boxee I could just browse to my Staging folder, select the newly downloaded file and play it directly from there.

Is there similar browse-and-play functionality in XBMC? Yes, I'm aware I could just play the file in VLC from Explorer, but since I'm getting XBMC setup as my new HTPC app I'd like to be able to do it all from within.

Thanks!
I keep a generic 'Videos' source that is unscraped - type set to none - for trailers, one-time views, etc
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Videos->Files.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-01-22, 02:44)thethirdnut Wrote: I keep a generic 'Videos' source that is unscraped - type set to none - for trailers, one-time views, etc

(2013-01-22, 03:30)jmarshall Wrote: Videos->Files.

That's exactly what I was after! I added my Staging folder set to None and unscraped and can now easily browse and watch my new but not-here-to-stay content. Thank you.
To clarify for others that might read this: you don't need to set content to none to browse by file, nor do you have to set it to anything else. It doesn't matter whether content is set or not.

Also: please consider using your own login if you want further help.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How-To: select non-library file for one time playback?0