Win Audio Speed Up [Frodo RC3]
Hi all,

I've got an odd issue with my HTPC running XBMC, where some audio playback seems faster than it should be, causing voices to be unusually high.

Hardware specs:
Intel Core2Duo 2.13GHz
4GB DDR-3
nVidia 8800GT (using DVI output to HDMI in on TV)
Asus Xonar DX - output via optical SPDIF to Yamaha DSP-AX757SE receiver
Windows 8 64-bit

Following a reboot, if the audio settings are set to WASAPI SPDIF Passthrough - the audio output will be higher pitched - I've recorded a video of this:

Changing this to DirectSound SPDIF passthrough makes no difference.

Changing to WASAPI Speakers or DirectSound Speakers causes audio playback to be correct.

Once this is done - I can change the settings back to WASAPI SPDIF Passthrough - and it will work perfectly... UNTIL the PC is rebooted.

I've uploaded a log file here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=29589

My SPDIF passthrough settings in Windows allow Dolby Digital and DTS, as well as 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz, as I get sound from my receiver with all of those formats.

I have my Xonar DX set up to do Dolby Digital Live encoding on all sound coming from the PC, so that when I fire up Steam, I can get proper surround sound effects. Without this setting enabled, I only get stereo from other Windows applications/games.

Doing this conversion of everything into Dolby Digital obviously reduces the sound quality for most sources.

By using the SPDIF Passthrough options in the audio settings in XBMC, I can get my stereo sources to output as PCM (making use of the higher bit-rate MP3 and FLAC audio I've spent time putting onto the server), and any DTS sources will also get output to the AV receiver as DTS, rather than being decoded and re-coded into Dolby Digital. I'm aware any HD audio sources won't get sent across this way - but I don't have any of those.

It's strange that by setting it to Speakers within XBMC then allows it to function properly until the PC is rebooted - unfortunately, with Windows Updates, power fluctuations etc, I can't guarantee that I'll be around every time it's rebooted to go through the sound menu to set it to Speakers and back to SPDIF Passthrough - if the girlfriend wants to watch something or listen to music when I'm not there, she won't appreciate everyone sounding like the Chipmunks!

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! Smile
I wonder if this might be your issue http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139124

You could try the suggested advance setting

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<resample>48000</resample>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Sounds similar - not entirely sure though why changing the output to speakers from SPDIF passthrough (and then back again) works - until I restart the machine.

It doesn't really say *what* the advanced setting does in the wiki - and what does it resample it *to*? Smile

Edit: I'll give it a try, and if it fixes it great, but I'd still like to know why Smile
It seems to be OK from my couple of quick tests - will see what happens after another reboot of Windows Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Speed Up [Frodo RC3]0