Win Can XBMC be run twice at the same time?
Hopefully I won't run afoul of the rule police, but there didn't seem to be a better place to put this, nor does it seem reasonable to post a number of logs just for a newbie question that is so basic, nobody has written anything about this subject before (without insulting the user, anyway). If it evolves into something deeper, then of course I would.

I have version 11.0 and it's running on Windows 8, 64-bit..

I have XBMC set as the default program for mp4, and I run it with its own window instead of full-screen. Suppose I'm watching a long video file with XBMC. Half-way through, I want to take a break and play a music video. But if I try to open a second media file (by opening it from Windows) while XBMC is already open, it ignores it (even if XBMC isn't actually accessing any media already).

Other players can open a second window to play the new file, leaving the original undisturbed. Then I can return to the original and pick up where I left off. Or, I can even play both at once. So why don't I want to use them? I actually happen to like the idea of software that will run on multiple platforms, and so I'd rather participate with this collection of users and developers, than those wedded to an OS, particularly if it's Windows.

Will XBMC run in a second window? If not, then this is a feature request.
If yes, then this is either a user education issue or technical support issue.
Maybe this isn't even Windows-specific.

Can we identify first which category of request I have?
Welcome to to the XBMC forums.

The answer is no. XBMC is a media center. Would you likewise expect/wish to run multiple instances of Windows Media Center on your PC? If you just want something to play media files, then just use a media player application... far less overhead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can XBMC be run twice at the same time?0