A PVR Guide that does what it says.
Let's start by saying I'm an XBMC fan and move on..

I'm in the process of writing an easy guide, more out of frustration than anything else. I have found that bits of information exists over literally thousands of posts and what would seem almost as many forums. Getting Live TV working with just some of the back ends can be very daunting to most people and again I repeat earlier comment.. to much information spread across so many pages.. and sometimes too much information is a bad thing!

So having spent weeks, months and what seems like years playing with and experimenting on XBMC and PVR backends I have finally nailed a few operationally efficient solutions in both Windows and Linus ( Raspberry Pi ) and I'm going to share my thoughts and step by step builds with links THAT WORK when built and installed.

Lookout for the guide in the next few days or week.

Just a thought!

I have posted on various occasions my thoughts on Unified media centers.. In my opinion there is no better HTPC than XBMC full stop IF YOUR WILLING to get your hands dirty, however until someone draws a line and unifies Live TV with an attractive EPG, gets pause and other player controls working XBMC will always be an experiment just waiting for the competition to snap at its heels. May I also express my gratitude to those who have poured there lives into this development, without your dedication and expertise the rest of us would have nothing to moan about. So please understand this is about product improvement and any critism is not leveled at individuals but the solution.

In short what is the exit strategy?

Thankyou

In my experience (which is extremely limited), the only complication is setting up the backend. Once I had a solid, stable backend, the XBMC setup was, well, trivial. Given the diverse hardware, software, and infrastructure choices that could be combined, it's hard to imagine a one-size-fits-all guide. PVR is a complex, interconnected system, and it is complex to set up.

As for an "exit strategy", I'm not sure what you're asking? I'm sure the PVR frontend will continue to improve and gain features. It is new in this version, so it is expected that it would not yet be full-featured.
I agree with godefroi, setting up XBMC to use PVR features is trivial. Enable the PVR manager, select a PVR add-on, fill in the IP address and press enable. If you use the Tvheadend backend and add-on for example, then you'll have "Live TV with an attractive EPG, gets pause and other player controls working XBMC" right away.

As for a guide, we are working on a guide here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Thank you for the feedback and in particular the link. Its really good and positive to see a work in progress that goes a long way towards addressing implementation of front and backend. As i mentioned, my post is born out of frustration.

When I suggest an exit strategy I am suggesting that someone must have a plan? Or is it assumed that xbmc will always remain open source and therefore never get to a completion.

I will have a play with Tvheadend.

Thanks again.
Yes. Always open source and continually improved. Any software deemed at completion is soon out dated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A PVR Guide that does what it says.0