So whats the best box for xbmc?
(2013-01-25, 07:22)PobjoySpecial Wrote: You can set XBMC to field sync 1080i to your TV, letting the set do the de-interlacing rather than a power-hungry GPU. Some TV's will even do vector-adaptive de-interlacing, so it may be worth a try.

The Pi will get the job done for $60, but it can only bob de-interlace 1080i... which is passable, but not great.

That intel one is nice but for that much I rather build my own mini htpc...What do you think about the pivos for streaming sports?
bump
(2013-01-25, 07:22)PobjoySpecial Wrote: You can set XBMC to field sync 1080i to your TV, letting the set do the de-interlacing rather than a power-hungry GPU. Some TV's will even do vector-adaptive de-interlacing, so it may be worth a try.

The Pi will get the job done for $60, but it can only bob de-interlace 1080i... which is passable, but not great.

can somebody please tell me what the pivos will deinterlace too? thanks
This might help:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pivos+deinterlace+football

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=984
(2013-01-29, 02:36)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Your best bet for getting answers on Pivos specific questions is through the Pivos XIOS thread. The main XBMC developer for Pivos (Davilla) is very active there.

I saw Davilla on that thread I linked to at the Pivos forum too.

(2013-01-29, 02:36)PobjoySpecial Wrote: I don't know the exact de-interlacing capabilities of the XIOS, but I'd bet the hardware can only do bob... and maybe IVTC. I'd also be skeptical that the 1080i field sync feature has made its way over to that platform.
If you are able to decipher it here's the Pivos deinterlacing code I think (at least for the Linux M3 builds) : https://github.com/Pivosgroup/buildroot-...nterlace.c
(Assuming XBMC uses it)
(2013-01-29, 05:21)PobjoySpecial Wrote: From a quick perusal of the github, it looks like the XIOS will do weave, blend and bob. That seems expected given the hardware.

1) Weave plays back the interlaced file as is. It's biggest shortcoming is combing.
2) Blend blurs the combing together, creating a condition similar to ghosting on a slow LCD monitor.
3) Bob doubles the framerate by stretching each field vertically, giving half the vertical resolution.

Bob is the most desirable out of the three since humans tend to be more sensitive to temporal resolution (movement) than spatial resolution (image detail). Note that a lot of material that seems to be interlaced is actually telecined, which will look better bobbed and perfect IVTC'd. A good rule of thumb is that things originally filmed are telecined; things originally videotaped are interlaced.
Yep - AIUI 60i interlaced signals carrying 24p 3:2 progressive sources often look like native interlaced content because a video frame can have fields from two different source frames. The same is true (thankfully less often these days) with out of phase 2:2 interlaced content (50i carrying 25p)

Looking at the AMLogic stuff there appears to be some 3:2 and 2:2 detection in the hardware deinterlacing code?

(2013-01-25, 02:38)cpmiller22 Wrote: I'd disagree on the atv2. I have been running one for a while and am very happy. The main limitations are that it's limited to 720 (which is ok for me b/c I use it for one of my smaller tv's) and that its not powerful enough to run skins like Nox.

My first recommendation is to get something with a wired Ethernet port. Streaming 1080 over wireless can be problematic.

I'd suggest the following choices:
-A Raspberry Pi - $35
-A Pivos XIOS running openelec $100
-A pre configured HTPC (Zotac, Foxconn, etc...) $200-300
-A custom build HTPC - $??

Since when does the Xios run openelec?

@reno55

Good catch! I meant the Linux build vs the android build. I've been so focused on openelec I suppose I just want it to work on everything :-)

Last thead I saw on this topic was here:
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=999

So while it should be possible, sounds like there is some kernel to be done..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
So whats the best box for xbmc?0