Two display with different resolution --> Black screen
Hi everybody.

that is my configuration:
frodo (but the issue happen also with other skins) + ati + standard vga display + hdmi projector full hd.

the main display is the vga low res display, and when I switch the projector on my sistem automatically cut signal to the vga display and give signal to the projector. the problem is that in this case, if xbmc has been started before turning on the projector, remain with the vga resolution of the vga display. then if I close and restart xbmc it get the 1080p resolution of the projector (that is the first problem)

now, after have restarted xbmc it get the true projector resolution. if now I turn off the projector, my computer cut the signal over hdmi to the projector and give back signal to the vga monitor but now it get a black screen (I suppose because xbmc has in memory the full hd resolution of the projector and cant map it to the low resolution of the vga display). if now I press "\" it goes in window mode and it show me xbmc correctly but if I press it again it goes again full screen giving again black screen. If now I close xbmc and restart it, it work perfectly using vga resolution of the vga display...

I think it is a bug of xbmc that do not get the updated resolution when it change the display...
any other idea?
p.s.: if more information are needed please let me know...
On a flat panel, the behaviour is slightly different, and I do have two displays of different resolution. My config is Win/64/7 Frodo skin is T! + ati + monitor 1920x1200 and TV 1920 x 1080

If I start XBMC prior to opening up the second display, moving a windowed XBMC to the second screen results in limited control area (can't get to the bottom of the screen) and a full screen (slash) causes a jump back to the monitor. If XBMC is opened after the second extended desktop is initiated, then moving it to the TV a full screen (slash) is possible and the desktop monitor can be used normally while XBMC is playing. At which point bringing a browser alive with AWXi allows control.

I suspect you're correct in that moving from one display size to another results in issues in that XBMC doesn't constantly poll the resolution, I don't regard this as a bug when windowed mode is available. You can adjust within scripts to specify window sizes and if XBMC is initiated with a script you could have the VGA res on close or alternatively swap out a GUI settings file between the displays or even close restart XBMC on the device of choice.

thank you very much PatK for the reply....

I'm trying to understand what you wrote but I think my problem is a littlebit different...
I do not wanna use xbmc in window mode and I do not want to use the display and the projector at the same time...
You can imagine the vga display as a service display that I use when I do not wanna power on the projector...

for example: I switch on the computer with the remote and it goes up with the vga monitor that is always on... in that xbmc start automatically.
after that I decide I'm giong to watch a movie and I power on the projector (in my case I turn it on using a java program I made that controll the projector with the rs232 port). At this moment when the projector is up the computer, automatically switch to the projector not giving signal to the vga display anymore...
In the same way, when I turn the projector off, the computer understend that there is not any device connected to the hdmi cable and give back signal to the vga display... but depending on WHEN i start xbmc (with the projector on or off) it get the resolution of the display on at the moment... so when I decide to watch a movie and turn the projector on xbmc remain with the resolution of the vga... to solve this problem I have to restart xbmc that this way get 1920 projector native resolution... but now at the end of the movie, when I turn off the projector I got black screen on the vga display because ( i suppose) xbmc remain with the 1920x1080 resolution...

what I said about windowed mode is only an hoping helpfull information I wanna give to the readers (developers?) that when the vga display show a black screen, if I push "\" and it goes to windowed mode it correctly show xbmc... but If I go back in full screen I always get black screen...

last thing is that I do not know python or any kind of language (exept java and js) to create any kind of script for xbmc... I can learn but if anybody give me an hint like to create a script I need more information...

thanks a lot!!!

I understand it is difficult to explain...

Let me summarize: because XBMC doesn't continually poll the resolution, you'll have come up with a work-around.

My suggestion is some sort of script, ala batch file type script. I personally rarely have an extended display... I do use it when I'm hunting down library issues, easy to run XBMC on one screen and a common editor in the other. I should note that I have two ways of launching XBMC, one is directly from the desktop icon and the other is a batchfile connected to a different desktop icon. The first icon just runs XBMC directly and in the advancedsettings.xml I specify full screen, this would be your VGA res launch. The second is this script http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131899 you might also want to investigate http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortool/ You'll have to get your feet wet for this fix.
thank you patK for the answer...
the fact is that I do not have an extended display... only the "biggest" works because I've set the projector as primary and the vga secondary... so when I turn on the projector the vga display stop receiving any any signal and goes in low power consumpion mode.

so I do not have two desktop and no necessity of creating two script, couse I start xbmc when there is only the vga display on; then I turn on the projector and the vga display "turn off" and there is only the projector working and xbmc that is now shown on it do not get the updated resolution of the ONLY connected video device (and this is the bug)...

Imagine that when I turn on the projector I turn off the vga display but xbmc do not poll the resolution basing on the only one on display...

thank you again for the try but I do not think your suggestions are related to my problem couse I've only one monitor on per time....
I think that this is a xbmc bug but I'm not afraid to get my feet wet if necessary...

probably unless xbmc team fix this the only way to solve this is that when I launch the java program that turn on and off the projector I close and restart xbmc so it get the proper resolution... It is an ugly fix but it is the only one i figure out unless you found another idea...
Quote:I've only one monitor on per time....

Me too, as mentioned... I rarely have an extended display

I'm suggesting that you have the VGA as primary display.... then use a script to flip to the projector (on my LCD this is possible) but with a projector there may be some handshaking that will disallow the display unless it turned on, and at close you're left with a VGA desktop and could imitate within the batch a XBMC default launch. If you think this is something that should be within XBMC you might consider a posting in Feature Suggestions. But from what you've told me a windowed XBMC would work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Two display with different resolution --> Black screen0