"ODROID-U2" = fastest miniPC for xbmc on the market?
I was just hearing about this box on another thread and thought it might be worth its own thread to bring it to the attention of those that are interested.

From my limited knowledge its a miniPC that is a similar idea to the raspberry pi (i.e. no case, no software etc) but it is much faster than the PI.

A couple of the xbmc devs were very complimentary so it might be worth considering if you want the latest technology at a good price for running android and xbmc (also worth mentioning here that this box can run linux instead of android if you prefer).

Its a 1.7Ghz quad core and is 90 U.S dollars.

Here's the spec: http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/p...t_info.php
Just so folk don't get misled by the $90 price tag, this is just the board.

You need to add.
1 PSU $9
2 8g min eMMC $25 (don't bother with SD, too slow if you really want to take advantage of this device)
3 micro HDMI cable $9
4 Wi-Fi module $12 (not needed, but a nice extra.. remember even the cheapest sticks come with Wi-Fi)
5 Case $22 here in the UK (again not needed, but a nice extra).... mine sits happily in it's ally extrusion (heatsink)
6 micro USB cable $3
7 also no remote, so you'll need mouse/kb $20?
8 this bit painful - shipping $30

I also added a USB/uart for development work etc

So not cheap... but more power than you are going to need to run xbmc
Good point so it's approx $180 all-in for the bare essentials (powersupply/psu, eMMC memory card, hdmi cable, micro usb cable, remote and shipping). i didnt include a case or wifi module as the thing can work without them.

$180 is a lot more than $90 but I suppose it's the fastest miniPC at the moment (as far as I know).
u2 has a cooler as case - not sure if there is any other case around ... i paid 250 bugs for my odroid-x (predecessor to the x2,u and u2) which is 139$ for the board and the rest for the gadgets Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This will probably be the next big thing when it comes to arm devices. Affordable,powerful, working android and ubuntu builds and open source hardware. Looks like there is a community popping up around it. Not to mention there is a working xbmc build. There's also a xbmc dev playing with it right now. Wink I'm picking one up next week to just tinker with. But yeah it's almost $200.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261148376713?s...1423.l2649

This is the case I've got for mine, bit ott I know but looks cool
I have this and on Ubuntu XBMC does not open, on Android even with libstagefright build you can't watch 720p high bitrate smooth. 1080p is out of the question for now.
Also on JB and ICS mxplayer and bsplayer don't show the same performance as on Note2 (same soc).
A lot of development is needed to make this platform stable and optimized. Sad
mdalacu: thanks for the info... good to know... i continue to look for a Small CHEAP box that can not only handle 1080p but also BR iso...
Early days, early days my friend.... but you're right, this device is not ready for prime time users who want an out of the box xbmc work horse. Devs/mods here are being a tad disingenuous when they promote this as the tool to use. It will be, just not yet.
(2013-01-24, 22:58)mdalacu Wrote: I have this and on Ubuntu XBMC does not open, on Android even with libstagefright build you can't watch 720p high bitrate smooth. 1080p is out of the question for now.
Also on JB and ICS mxplayer and bsplayer don't show the same performance as on Note2 (same soc).
A lot of development is needed to make this platform stable and optimized. Sad

Android XBMC/libstagefright is working quite nice for me. So far looks very good at this early stage.
I would have to say that most things in that list a majority of people buying the ODROID either have or don't need. Also you can look at the ODROID-U which is 1.4Ghz, down from 1.7Ghz of the ODROID-U2 and 1GB of ram compared to the 2GB in the U2, but otherwise looks the same. Its $20 cheaper.

As far as a list is concerned:
1 - PSU - That's needed. You might be able to hack together one from an old (not too old) cell charger. Pretty much all portable devices charge from 5v usb adapters, just need to find one that outputs 2A and possibly change the connector. I know this is beyond the scope of most and really your only saving $9

2 - Probably best to get the eMMC but if you were to get the "right" SD (one with fast random 4K reads) you would probably be ok for about 1/2 that price. the Raspberry Pi and many other devices have to/are run off SD

3 - Being micro HDMI most people I would assume don't have as many floating around as normal HDMI. But you could probably find it cheaper also.

4 - Wifi - I avoid wifi as much as I can but some people need it.

5 - Probably ok without it.

6 - Everyone with a cell phone made in the last 3yrs will have one...Not sure why you would need it though?

7 - Most people probably don't use the remotes that come with cheap hardware, and if you do I'm sure you would upgrade quickly after using it for awhile. Also a quick google says hdmi-cec support is coming, its capable but they are working on the driver: http://odroid.foros-phpbb.com/t1103-cec-...-over-hdmi

8 - Shipping, can't avoid that one for most devices like this, android boxes like the xios are more readily available at local computer stores (at least here) would be the exception.

You kind of have to keep in mind this is marketed/made as a development board. Things like the PSU and all the additional accessories that are needed normally aren't included. Just mentioning for comparison sake. Example the Raspberry Pi.

The "bare minimum"
ORDOID-U = $99 + 30 shipping
Raspberry Pi is 35+8(PSU)+12(SD CARD)+9(HDMI)= $64 + $25 shipping

Better comparison though is bare board to bare board
Raspberry Pi - $35
ODRIOD-U - $69
You get a lot more hardware for that $34. Current support though I think the Raspberry Pi would probably win.

Also not sure how fair of a comparison this is but a mini-pc, my zbox for example is/was about $250/300 for a 1.2ghz dual core atom. A quad core 1.4 ghz for a $100 is pretty good. Though you have to keep in mind (re-reading the title of this thread) this is an ARM processor and correct me if my wrong isn't as universally compatible as an x86 chip, its not really a "pc"

I do hope something like this will be a good viable option for a fast and relatively cheap xbmc device that will run a heavy skin like Aeon fast. And possibly kill the need for mini/low power pc's being used for HTPC's. Not saying those or more power pc's don't have there place as a HTPC.

I was playing devils advocate. If you were to purchase the pivos or the atv1200, that would be a so called plug 'n play device, not so with the Odroid, it's being sold as a dev board which in itself commands a premium price. (Nice tactic on the South Koreans part - I'm being cynical)

Let's throw another device into the mix - me thinks the Ouya will catch a good chunk of the market, what does anyone else think?
the ouya will be massive i think in terms of people wanting xbmc and android apps as well.

I think I'll be getting one anyway if xbmc works well on it.
ODROID-U2 is actually sold very close to cost. Even factoring in "accessories", it's a great value for that amount of ARM power. That's the reason I like it so much. It's the best bang-for-your-buck.
(2013-01-25, 17:01)Ned Scott Wrote: ODROID-U2 is actually sold very close to cost. Even factoring in "accessories", it's a great value for that amount of ARM power. That's the reason I like it so much. It's the best bang-for-your-buck.

Ned that's fair comment but surely if it can't play 720p then it cant be recommended yet?

quote from mdalacu in this thread: "on Android even with libstagefright build you can't watch 720p high bitrate smooth. 1080p is out of the question for now."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"ODROID-U2" = fastest miniPC for xbmc on the market?0