Advice for low budget setup.
Hey everyone,

I first heard about XMBC back in the day when I was installing mod chips on the original xbox. I recently decided I wanted to use my xbox 360 as an HTPC so I went searching for XMBC. I have since then realized that the 360 is not a viable option for this project.

I have been lurking around for the past 2 weeks or so trying to decide what route I want to take for this project.

I looked through the stickies and decided I was a Group 3 person. All I really want to do is play 1080p content and have HD audio for my 7.1 system.

I understand that making a NAS and an HTPC is the ideal setup but I am trying to keep the cost of this project way down. I would like to have my storage and HTPC together. I had considered the apple TV 1 as a cheap option but the internal drive is PATA so that will not work.

I guess for me the best option would be to build an HTPC with 2-3 drive bays in it so I could put a couple of 3TB HDDs in there. I looked at the builds and suggestions in the stickies but they are all a bit out of date.

Could someone please suggest an HTPC/storage device hybrid solution that will be low cost?

Another thought I had was maybe I would be able to make a low cost NAS and use Rasberry pi for playback? I am just concerned about the audio output in this case.

Thank you for the help!
look around craigslist for an older computer a dual core, if it doesn't have a video card pick one up on the cheap.if your not happy with the looks swap it out for another case.

this is what i did for a bedroom setup. Had an older hp dual sore laying around, picked up a gt 430 off ebay for $25 and bought a lian li off ebay for $50. Took all the guts out of the Hp put it in the lian li and im running XBMCUBUNTU couldn't be hapier
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
Thanks for the replies guys.

lagledavid I like that idea.

I have an old gaming computer laying around that I was thinking of recycling into the HTPC. Here are the specs, let me know if it will work:

CPU: AMD Opteron 146
Mobo: DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D
GPU: eVGA Nvidia 8800GTS 320mb 650/950
PS: OCZ Powerstream 520W
RAM: 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC3200

The only problem major problem with this PC right now is that the 8800GTS only has two DVI outputs on it. Would it be worthwhile to pick up a cheap 430 and a 3TB HDD for this PC and use it as my storage and HTPC? It would definitely be the cheapest option for me. Would it be able to stream 1080p smoothly? As for the HD audio, If I recall the DFI board actually has 8.1 audio support. If not I could always grab a sound card.

Is it worth investing in the old guy or should I get something else for the job?

Thanks
A 430 will give you a hdmi port you desire and it will bitstream hdmi audio assuming you have a compatible amp.

You could install openelec on the 3tb drive or just add it as an additional drive to your existing os which I guess is some form of windows
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
I was thinking of installing openelec on my current HDD and simply using the 3TB for storage.

Would a 210 be powerful enough for my application and does the 210 support HDMI audio? I ask simply because I am trying to keep the cost of this project down.
Anyone have an idea? 210 vs. 430? Does 210 do HD audio?
What type of screen/monitor will you be using with this?

Most flat screens that I have seen have RGB input, which the DVI (As long as it's DVI-I or DVI-A) can use a small adapter to convert to RGB and plug that into the monitor. Then use an SPDIF cable (Optical or co-ax) to feed audio to your receiver. This is how my current set-up is using a GT220 card, even though it has an HDMI cable output. I just don't feel like snaking the HDMI cable out of my entertainment center's support to use it with the HTPC, since it doesn't want to reach right now. When I get a proper HTPC case, that will change.

The way I look at it, is you already have the equipment, test out what you have, then change what isn't up to your expectations. It will liekly be the the video card that you change first, but since budget is a concern, test it first, then decide.
IIRC, the 210 doesn't do HD audio. For OpenELEC, you could get a GT610 (fka GT520).
The screen is a Sony Bravia KDL 55HX701.

The screen does have an RGB input which I have tested with the PC and it works fine. The problem right now is with the audio.

I am thinking of getting the Zotac Geforce 210 to swap in. I would like to use the HDMI to pass the audio to my receiver.

Will the 210 be able to do this? The reviews I read seemed to say that it could but Dougie Fresh's comment has me worried. Anyone else?
why not gt610 its about 25$ and more than enough for Xbmc Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice for low budget setup.0