Bored this weekend, so built this...
I got bored this weekend, so cobbled this together. Works very well if i do say so myself, have a peek, comments welcome Smile

I've had this old laptop with a busted screen laying around for ages, Core 2 Duo T3200, Intel GPU and HDMI output. And also a Toshiba slimline DVD Player that ive never used....

So, I proceeded to rip the guts from both of them, and created a mutant OpenELEC based Laptop/DVD case contraption. It has a working remote and the power button works.

A few pics..

Nice DIY skills! Great idea!
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
That's just incredibly impressive. Smile
Thanks for the comments guysBig Grin

The intergrated Intel GPU is pretty lame, it runs the default skin at 1920x1080p no probs, to be fair it can run Aeon Nox at the same res, but the framerate drops to mid 20's, which im not happy with.

The original Laptop had a wireless network card attached via an edge connector that looks very much like x1 Pci-E, I might mod a slimline Nvidia 9500GT card I have here into the case and attach it to the 1x slot... Thats for next weekend anyways.

A small vid of it working..

**EDIT - Please excuse the messy desk lol

Very nice, big thumbs up!

I've been thinking of doing this myself for quite some time. I've an old Pinnacle Showcenter 1000 case I gutted which has just been sitting around waiting for a good donor laptop with decent hdmi to show up.

From your pics am I correct that you basically just placed the laptop base (inc plastics) into the dvd player and mounted into place somehow?

My Original idea was to remove the actual motherboard and mount directly into the pinnacle shell.....not as easy as it sounds I reckon though.

So far the only problem I can see with this type of project is that it'll not be easy to get into the bios unless you got the laptop lcd connected.

Also how did you connect up the power button between the dvd placyer and the laptop?

Cheers
Confusion is just a state of mind.
Very cool! Always loved making the most of what I have on hand.
Awesome idea. Great form factor as well. 2 thumbs up for being so creative. Smile. Enjoy your htpc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bored this weekend, so built this...0