Win XBMC HTPC build.
First off thank you to the developers and mod staff for making this amazing piece of software and having a great community here.

So school money is about to come in and i want to finally build my HTPC. i have been doing a ton of research and i am trying to figure out the best build for the least amount of money. i have been looking at the AMD A10 which i know is more than capable of running XBMC but my worries are on the emulation side. my desktop as of now is running a i7 2600k with a radeon 6950 in it with 16 GB of ram. So it plays anything up to the wii emulators. I have heard so many mix feelings about apu's but if course Intel is far more expensive route than AMD. My budget is roughly around 500 dollars no more than 600.

suggestions?
i'm sorry but did i post something i wasn't suppose to?
i am using the A10 5800k in one of my HTPCs running frodo rc3 and it runs really well.

if you do buy it, when you start to setup the bios (not sure if you do before starting to load the pc) just make sure to turn off the onboard audio options. it will help.

also when setting up the audio for frodo, select the waspi (think that is what it is called) sound options, which will resolve the issue with the slow 1080p dtshd files you might have
does the a10 run real hot like others have said?
I am using the a10 5700 and it is plenty capable. It was my first build. I used the stock cooler and it can be a bit noisy (silverstone gd05), so I may get me a better cooler. All in all the 5700 would be a better choice for a htpc rather than the 5800.
i don't think it runs too hot, course i have a different cooler on it instead of the one that came with it.

only reason i got the 5800k was because there was a combo deal from newegg with it making it cheaper than the 5700 plus motherboard. but the 5700 would work just as well, depends on what you want to spend on it
Do you have a case in mind? Smaller cases and power supplies might dictate what AMD APU you're capable of running.
l think the nmedia 6000b
or the silverstone ml03b and i would have to but per supply and fans with that one
in that case with the 5800, i used the silverstone ml03b. and the power supply was a silverstone 500w. they also have a 450 in a small form, which will give you more room behind the dvd/blu-ray drive.
the more research i do the more indecisive i am becoming with a case. i think i am going with the a10 5800k , even though it draws more power, but i'm afraid that if the case is too small it will over heat quite easily and for now i won't be buying an aftermarket heat sink.
My first HTPC build, running thru my home theater receiver Onkyo TX-NR809

Case: Silverstone Grandia Series GD05B micro-ATX / Mini-DTX / Mini-ITX M
M/B : Asus F2A85-M Pro Motherboard
CPU : AMD A10-5800K FM2 series 3.8 Ghz
HD: Samsung Series 840 120GB SSD 2.5" Sata lll
MEM: G. Skill 8GB Sniper DDR3 PC3-14900 (1866MHz)
PWR: Thermaltake TR2 430W
BluRay: Pioneer BD-RW BDR-205

Overall system runs great, installed Windows 8 Pro, XBMC streams perfect, I had to update drivers (was getting a little stuttering on certain movies), after that no problems. Netflix, HuluPlus and networks stream excellent also. Installed PowerDVD12 for Bluray playback, looks awesome!! Complete build was just under $600.00 so quite please. Windows 8 experience shows the weakest link the onboard video card.
Processor---7.3
Memory------7.4
Graphics-----6.7
Gaming-------6.7
Primary HD--7.9
Score----------6.7
the cooler i used for those 2 ml03s was a coolermaster. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835103177 for heat wise it isn't bad, i think my receiver pushes out more heat than that.

when thinking of case, you need to think about where it is going and how much room you want with it. i also have a gd05 as well, which i replaced with a ml03.
(2013-01-31, 21:56)fisherman55 Wrote: My first HTPC build, running thru my home theater receiver Onkyo TX-NR809

Case: Silverstone Grandia Series GD05B micro-ATX / Mini-DTX / Mini-ITX M
M/B : Asus F2A85-M Pro Motherboard
CPU : AMD A10-5800K FM2 series 3.8 Ghz
HD: Samsung Series 840 120GB SSD 2.5" Sata lll
MEM: G. Skill 8GB Sniper DDR3 PC3-14900 (1866MHz)
PWR: Thermaltake TR2 430W
BluRay: Pioneer BD-RW BDR-205

Overall system runs great, installed Windows 8 Pro, XBMC streams perfect, I had to update drivers (was getting a little stuttering on certain movies), after that no problems. Netflix, HuluPlus and networks stream excellent also. Installed PowerDVD12 for Bluray playback, looks awesome!! Complete build was just under $600.00 so quite please. Windows 8 experience shows the weakest link the onboard video card.
Processor---7.3
Memory------7.4
Graphics-----6.7
Gaming-------6.7
Primary HD--7.9
Score----------6.7

thanks for the insight. I don't need any hard drives for it yet nor do i need an optical drive at the moment either. My main rig is a7.7 right now. have you tried siphon emulator on it with wii?
(2013-01-31, 23:55)itoig Wrote: the cooler i used for those 2 ml03s was a coolermaster. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835103177 for heat wise it isn't bad, i think my receiver pushes out more heat than that.

when thinking of case, you need to think about where it is going and how much room you want with it. i also have a gd05 as well, which i replaced with a ml03.

space is not a huge concern right now.thanks for the product recommendations

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC HTPC build.1