Proper way to exit script? sys.exit() crashes on OE

Ok so there are times I want my addon to bail out (with a notification) - I have previously been in the habit of calling sys.exit() for this, but this is causing crashes on OpenElec.

What is the right way to bail out of an addon??
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
add breaks in loops and have a global variable on which you check if you need to bail out
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
i use this

Code:
xbmc.executebuiltin("XBMC.Container.Update(path,replace)")
xbmc.executebuiltin("XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)")
ok cool thanks - O think what I will do is jsut pass my internal exceptions back to the main program and then just flow out if I need to, after notifying the user (i.e. don't call exit(), just run off the end as it were...)

I don't know if per se I want it to drop back to home - what if it was started from the programs menu instead, for example?
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Just make so that you flow through your code and skip everything that it "finishes"
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
What I'd really like to do is use atexit() but apparently that's not possible as the interpreter is left running....it's because I really need to do some cleanup on the way out (I modify keymaps on the fly to get around various UI quirks etc - want to make sure no matter what I restore the system back to original state...)

Anyway, all good for now, thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper way to exit script? sys.exit() crashes on OE0