Linux HTPC NAS build low power
I have read and I think that the ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE it's the best solution: fanless, all in one, mini itx, multimedia capable. But I'm heardr suggestions. I'm look for low consumption because 24/7.
I will use:

- XBMC of course (Debian)
- Tvheadend
- LAN fileserver (NFS, SAMBA, ...)

Buy list:

- ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE
- HDD 3TB RED NAS
- SSD Sandisk (preowned)
- picoPSU 120
- Huh Case
For linux or openelec, don't use AMD. The nvidia chipsets work much better (deinterlacing especially) - I can recommend the Zotac D2550 itx (it has Geforce 610 on board)

For a low power (although maybe not low cost) option, how about two boxes? I have a simple atom based server running OpenMediaVault and tvheadend etc. that runs 24/7 and a very compact D2550ITX box running OpenELEC (with 32Gb mSATA, no optical drive) as my set-top box/hifi player (running into a DAC and power amp)

Very happy with my setup.
I would recommend replacing the fan on the Zotac board though - Noctua or Coolink Swif2 work well.
Oh.. and nvidia supports hd-bitstreaming under linux (Dolby TrueHD and dts-Master Audio) if you have a capable receiver.
AMD doesn't.
To clarify, this is going to be an HTPC as well as a NAS?
Yes. HTPC+NAS.

Thanks for the replies
FYI, I built this exact setup, have the ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE running in the Chenbro 4-bay NAS chassis on XBMCBuntu 12.o.

It is capable of HD playback, full stack of torrents running, with a hi speed usenet xfer, couch/headphones/sickbeard all running at the same time, so definitely a capable little board.

As lem000 said tho, AMD + linux dont mix well. Its getting better with 12.o and xvba but you will experience periodic instability, and expect to be rebooting regularly if you are going to use Dolby / DTS audio as it has occasional hiccups with stream switching (Ive been running it for ~4 months lets say it will fail to playback 1 for every 200 HD playback attempts). Also remember Dolby HD / DTS-HD is not possible in linux with this chipset.

Last reminder is that if you are adding several disks to your NAS, keep in mind that they will also generate heat, the board will be throwing a lot of heat out, and you will end up requiring some form of active cooling on the case.

If you MUST have a completly silent htpc / nas might I suggest an intel iX-XXXXt model for similar power consumption in one of the larger streacom fanless cases or similar, use a mini itx board, and fill up the extra space with disks (duct tape not included).

Personally I stumbled on this while planning a 2nd htpc in order to relegate my ASUS E45M1-I Deluxe to overpriced NAS board, but dont let that spoil what I would agree is an awesome all in one idea.
I'm thinking about make a change for a i3 3220T 35W + mini ITX board. The i3 have HD 2500 graphics, but HD capable? With this processor I will get more compatibility with linux, right? Mini ITX mobo recomendation?
Thanks 4 all!
Intel works ok on linux,but you'd probably want an i3 with HD4000 (I forget which one that is). However, if you planning to use PVR and therefore watch a lot of 1080i material then nvidia is still the way to go.
Most itx board have pci-e these days and a geforce 610 card is pretty cheap.

Otherwise - the Zotac D2550-ITX will do what you want.
What about this:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/free-shipping-...mc-eu.html

199€ too low price if have HDD and RAM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC NAS build low power0