Win HDD Died, Files Recovered, XBMC stops playing certain files, WMP plays fine.
I had a HDD die. I was able to run recovery software against it and recover almost all my movies and TV shows (mostly 720p mkv's)..

When I view some in XBMC the movies will just stop at random intervals.. If I go into the movie again and skip / fast fwd past that part it will continue on.

So I open one of these files in WMP and it will play the entire file. In WMP I do see very small glitches but it keeps on chugging..

Any ideas?

Thanks
XBMC is a little less tolerant than some players in some types of issues, due in part to the vast variety of formats. I would just note the movies that break and run them through some sort of massage program that re-writes the file and perhaps patches or fixes the glitches. I'd be concerned over time that corrupt files, with checksum errors will eventually pull the contents of the whole drive down.
Any idea on such a program that does this? (Massages)

Also, know any software that will tell me what files have checksum errors like you talk about?

Thanks
I've had some success with MKVtoolnix utils or even running through handbrake (even less luck though). Usually a video editor will have some error correcting built in. The problem is that code can get corrupt inside a file, and look intact inside the headers, and unless the checksum is re-calculated, this corruption will eventually spill over to the allocation table and insidiously corrupt more than just the target file.

If the file will not copy to another place on a different drive with a standard copy command; it is a good indication of crc errors and should be the target of a delete. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_detec...correction

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDD Died, Files Recovered, XBMC stops playing certain files, WMP plays fine.0