Win How can I use Eden's multi-background for Frodo?
I'm a newbie and love XBMC and confluence.

I like the Eden confluence feature - each category (movies, music, settings) has its own beautiful background, but in Frodo, it seems all categories share one background. Can I use Eden’s multi-backgrounds instead of Frodo’s default? thanks

Eden's multi-background

Frodo's default
That's a function of the default skin. The easiest thing to do if you like the default skin is to us Modifed Confluence.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147628
(2013-01-31, 06:31)pkscuot Wrote: That's a function of the default skin. The easiest thing to do if you like the default skin is to us Modifed Confluence.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147628

Great! Loving it.
I have just found this out when trying to add my custom screen backgrounds ... my head went down and most likely my bottom lip like my 4 year old daughters when I tell her the day out is cancelled becauses its raining.
I loved this feature. I have a big set of pictures which rotate in Eden for each of my screens.

I am wondering if a simple cron-job (OS specific etc) to just copy in picture files over the specified backgorund image file would be a simple solution in part.
Would work for each time XBMC starts I expect ... it wether the Skin refreshed the backgorund image from file every time a screen changes to be of any use. Simple way to test which I will.

I wonder why they dropped this great feature in favour of a single background for all screens ?
(2013-02-02, 18:57)filo_beddo Wrote: I wonder why they dropped this great feature in favour of a single background for all screens ?

The XBMC landscape has expanded to include support for underpowered devices such as Raspberry Pi and Android (a growing share of the install base), so using a static background image is less resource intensive and reduces the lag when navigating the main menu on these devices. This ensures that the broadest range of users will have a good user experience "out-of-the-box". Those with more capable hardware can switch to a skin that supports dynamic background images.
But wouldn't it have been a good idea to at least include a pretty (static, single) background in the main default skin?

I suspect most users will find the big black emptyness on their TV a bit underwhelming after updating.
XBMC: Frodo 12
Skin: Confluence
If you just have "black emptiness" then something is wrong with your install.
Yes, you should have the blue bubbles static background as seen here:

TS
(2013-02-02, 21:46)artrafael Wrote: The XBMC landscape has expanded to include support for underpowered devices such as Raspberry Pi and Android (a growing share of the install base), so using a static background image is less resource intensive and reduces the lag when navigating the main menu on these devices. This ensures that the broadest range of users will have a good user experience "out-of-the-box". Those with more capable hardware can switch to a skin that supports dynamic background images.

Thanks for the information, I can see the good sense in what they have done.
I'll check out a modded skin.
Aha! Ok, I see all the image files from the dynamic backgrounds in the "skin.confluence" folder (which is under program files btw, not userdata) and it includes a 'skindefault.jpg' with blue bubbles. I've selected one of them as custom background, but shouldn't it revert to a default when that option is UNchecked? Also, I can't really reinstall Confluence.

I still think it would have been neat to have an option in Confluence that said "Use contextual backgrounds", disabled by default, rather than having the feature stripped completely.
(2013-02-04, 16:50)dracula Wrote: Aha! Ok, I see all the image files from the dynamic backgrounds in the "skin.confluence" folder (which is under program files btw, not userdata) and it includes a 'skindefault.jpg' with blue bubbles. I've selected one of them as custom background, but shouldn't it revert to a default when that option is UNchecked? Also, I can't really reinstall Confluence.

I still think it would have been neat to have an option in Confluence that said "Use contextual backgrounds", disabled by default, rather than having the feature stripped completely.

I'm sorry...I must be blind. What is the path for this folder. I can't find it.

Cheers!
have you tried replacing the frodo confluence skin directory with eden?
(2013-02-04, 18:46)hpp8140 Wrote: have you tried replacing the frodo confluence skin directory with eden?

Not a good plan, may look like it works - but a lot has changed!
Noli illegitimi carborundum

I found addons in two locations:
(1) C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons
(2) C:\Users\Sandra\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons

In (1) are the core addons which are installed during XBMC installation. In (2) are all the additional addons and updates.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I use Eden's multi-background for Frodo?0