Plex on unRAID: install question
I appreciate this is perhaps a question best suited to the unRAID forums, but I don't really want to have to sign up to another forum to ask a question that may easily get answered here! It's quite simple anyway:

The installaton instructions for Plex on unRAID that I followed here mention that copying the Plex install package into /boot/extra/ will install Plex on every reboot.

Does this mean that I can/should remove the package from that folder when I'm done? Or is it supposed to install each time the server boots up? I'm a newbie to the workings of Linux/unRAID, so apologies if this seems stupid.

And don't worry, I'm only using Plex for music streaming, not to replace XBMC!
CPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 2.40GHz APU - MoBo: Gigabyte A75N-USB3 AMD A75 - RAM: Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - Storage: 128GB SSD, 500GB HD - Case: Streacom FC7 Silver - ODD: Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+RW Drive
No, leave the package, otherwise it will have nothing to install from on reboot.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
Ah ok. So in this case "installing" isn't entirely like a Windows install then.

I was worried that settings may be overwritten...
Out of interest, does this apply as a general rule to all Linux packages? Or just unRAID packages? Or only to Plex?
CPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 2.40GHz APU - MoBo: Gigabyte A75N-USB3 AMD A75 - RAM: Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - Storage: 128GB SSD, 500GB HD - Case: Streacom FC7 Silver - ODD: Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+RW Drive
Sorry, what? This question is about a non-XBMC server and a non-XBMC OS. In similarly unrelated news, the price of bananas is up in South America.
...and posted in the Off-topic sub-forum for that very reason.

I may be mistaken but it seems a lot of people on this forum use both Plex AND unRAID, so seems like a reasonable question.
UnRAID is used by a lot of XBMC-ers.

UnRAID packages are installed on boot iirc, however, it's not that dissimilar to the way windows works, in windows you might have an executable that puts all the files in a particular folder and puts an icon you can use to get to those folders, with the UnRAID package all the files you need are in the package and that's what it uses.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
like Kode said unraid and all package installations are installed to and live in the ram

once you shutdown, all installed packages disappear as the ram is cleared

leave the package in there so it gets installed to ram at every boot

that's why for all packages, you have to set their data directories to a cache or array drive (use absolute paths like /mnt/cache/.apps/plex), so that the settings and data survive a reboot
Ah thanks aptalca, that explains a lot. So I guess, conversely, if I wanted to "uninstall" a program, all I really have to do is remove its package from the flash drive.

But some of the packages I've put on the drive seem to live in different places - is there not one singular place to put packages for them to install? Some live in the top-level (boot) like Preclear; others in "extra", like Plex; others in "config/plugins", like... well, most of the plugins...
well, plugins with plg files get installed automatically at boot using the info in their plg files. If you copy a package to config/plugins, it will not be auto-installed without a plg file

preclear is not a package but a script that can be run on demand

other packages that do not have plg files associated, like plex, should be put into the extra folder to be installed automatically at boot.

and you are correct, to uninstall a package (a non-plg one), just delete the package file from the extra folder and reboot. apparently you can also use the uninstallpkg command, but I have not tried it. For plg ones, just delete the plg file and reboot.

just keep in mind that the data folders will be saved on a physical drive and when you *uninstall* a package by deleting the package and rebooting, it will not delete the data folder.
Perfect answer aptalca! Many thanks - think I get it now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex on unRAID: install question0