Tablet
Hi,

I just had a potentially awesome idea looking at some tests of new products online.
What about that little supra silent, supra compact piece of technology to power a htpx that would be on 24/7 as a home server, once linked to an external hdd:
Tablet

I mean, it can fit discretly behind the tv or inside a cabinet.

The price is not really a problem and that would also give me the opportunity to have my htpc when I have to fly, which is quite frequent.

Any problem of power or heat?

In theory it should work great. I don't have experience with those specific tablets, but I would think the Windows 8 Pro ones would be no issue, since they're running desktop-class processors and the desktop version of Windows. The Android ones will likely work, but I wouldn't make a purchase unless you can verify that they're working with one of the XBMC for Android builds, and are working with an external display/HDMI.

I've done this with my iPhone 4 and the HDMI adapter. The iPhone 4 is basically the same guts as the ATV2, and I even get a little better performance than a normal ATV2. Connects to the TV just fine, then I can take it with me on the go.

Not sure about heat, but I would be reluctant to put the Windows Pro tablets in a cabinet. They're basically laptops, and still need good airflow. ARM powered devices (Android, iOS, etc) aren't as demanding on airflow.
Yeah, I was thinking about a regular windows in order to have all my usual settings.

What about the Z2760, is it fast and responsive enough to handle an aeon skin or should I head for an i3 or i5 tablet, knowing that they are most likely warmer and might indeed, have heat issues.

Just for info, the cabinet, is quite big and it's back is open and not directly against the wall so that there is a decent enough airflow. I already run a regular desktop htpc in there but having the option to travel with my own htpc is a huge plus. Hotel bedrooms are a bit sad and having a little piece of home with me would be awesome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tablet0