Audio stutter
Hi, my setup is ubuntu 11.10 with frodo 12.0 git:fb595f2, plain linux 3.0.0 from ubuntu, athlon x2 4800+ and 2GB ram.

My problem is with the <resample>44100</resample> that I want to use so that my stereo dac can play some 24/96 files that can't play native (it's an old 16/48 max dac), all 44.1 files play just fine, but when I play the higher res files the stuttering begins. (the same happens with 48000 as the re-sampling rate)

Thanks in advance.
Here's the missing data from my first post, I hope it's enough so that someone can help me with this problem... driving me nuts

Log: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1617011/

I see this lines in the log:
09:57:42 T:3075730288 DEBUG: CSoftAEStream::GetFrame - Underrun
10:00:16 T:3078125328 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 252 times.

arch is i686

xbmc installed via regular ubuntu repos

my audio section in advancedsettings.xml looks like this:
<audio>
<resample>44100</resample>
<streamsilence>1</streamsilence>
</audio>

The 24/96 or higher files that have the stutter are all stereo flacs.

If any other info is necesary, please let me know.
Thanks again for your time.
What are your XBMC audio settings, can you please post a screenshot (press printscrn on keyboard or record button on remote and use some image host)

IIRC streamsilence is broken in Linux I cant be 100% sure about that it's just from reading a comment by DDDamian on another post.

The screenshot for now would suffice and you may want to refer to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...ings_Guide in the meanwhile.

uNi
The issue happens with or without streamsilence.

Here's the screenshot.

I've also tried with Analog instead of Optical/Coax with same results.
I think its because your tracs are 24/96 and your dac limits are 16/48 in this case I presume this is why your using resample?

Again refer to wiki link I posted I think you may want to try <allowtranscode44100>1</allowtranscode44100> though.

uNi
Yes, correct, my dac is limited to 16/48 max, so I want to resample to 44.1 as most of the music is at that samplerate. It worked fine with eden. It only stutters when I play high res files, 44.1 play fine and all movies play just fine. (it should be nice to have a conditional resample like some dlna servers have).

Also the stuttering happens with resample at 44.1 or 48... but will try your line and see if it helps.

Are the "CSoftAEStream::GetFrame - Underrun" lines in the log meaningless?
tried the allowtranscode44100 true with same results, stutter with high res files.
The log entries are not meaningless, I cant explain to you what they mean as Im not a developer (perhaps some buffer underun issues idk only speculation to me), AE has some bugs some of which are being looked at could be its related or specific to your issue, only a developer can tell.

uNi
ok thanks for your time, I tried the allowtranscode44100 with the same results, do any devs read this forums or should I move my query somewhere else? is there anything else you would like me to try?

at least if it is a know issue and work in progress I will just wait for an update, but if it's something specific in my setup I would like to pin it.
You may want to make your thread tittle more descriptive, and wait.. Yes developers do read this, given your DAC limitation idk if this is an issue in itself eh? Try something else like a diffrent dac or idk. Either way wait with some luck a dev may reply or someone who has a different insight.

Edit**
Eden has no AE in comparison to Frodo, ppl keep forgetting AudioEngine and that since its 2 years in development (since its birth) and only being available to test since July 2011 there's tons of issues to sort out.

This will be my last response cause the longer this thread becomes the less likely someone is going to read all the replies and this may even work against you.

uNi

dac works perfectly with Eden and the same resample setup... thanks again for your time

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio stutter0