There and Back Again: The complete guide to installing Frodo on ATV2
Hello fellow XBMC ATV2 fans. If you are thinking about upgrading to Frodo on your ATV2 system, I recommend that you read this post first.
I have been a huge fan of the XBMC community, and have been running XBMC on ATV2 since the day the first (pre-eden) stable release was available. I have also actively assisted in the installation of several XBMC installations utilizing ATV2 as the front end.

For those of you running multiple ATV2 units with a shared media source and central MYSQL database, this post is for you. To clarify, pre-frodo, my environment looked like this:

MOD EDIT: Bad advice has been removed to prevent more problems. You will not have issues if you follow the official guide on MySQL (wiki).
The problem was that you were using an outdated lifehacker guide instead of the one we made on the wiki: MySQL (wiki). You cannot make the MySQL tables manually, and you must allow XBMC to create the tables, which it will do with the name+version number.

You should avoid path substitution for thumbnails in Frodo, and you should not manually edit the sources.xml file.

So while your effort is appreciated, I would not recommend to users to read this post first.
It would be better that all references to the lifehacker article must be removed to prevent it to be used again
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
As I stated in my post above, the MySQL configuration was Pre-Frodo. I am stating all information pertaining to my configuration, prior to installing Frodo so that folks can see that a good deal of what I did back in the early Eden days is not suitable for Frodo. It is my opinion that anyone that used the lifehacker guide back at the beginning of Eden, essentially wipe their configs and start over.

Also, I have over a gigabyte of thumbnails and fan art stored in the thumbnails path. Where on an ATV device would their be sufficient space to hold that much data?

I get the impression that neither of you took the time to actually read/think about what I posted here. I won't bother to share my experience or finances on this project in the future.

concerning your signature: see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...orum_rules

so you're bit easy stepped on your toes. sorry that we have more to do than read a lenghty thread that is pre-frodo since we are now at at Frodo release
(2013-02-04, 17:09)Martijn Wrote: concerning your signature: see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...orum_rules

so you're bit easy stepped on your toes. sorry that we have more to do than read a lenghty thread that is pre-frodo since we are now at at Frodo release

Per your signature: Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Does this not imply that you should read a post prior to posting a comment as well?

I guess being a member of Team-XBMC entitles you to special privileges, such as you can treat the rest of us like crap.

Signature removed, per rules cited.
I have in no way treated you like crap. We just made an observation that lifehacker guide is way outdated and should not be used ever again.
If you think you was treated badly by that there's nothing I can or will do about that.
To be fair to the OP, it is a common setup he has. The reporting of issues will help other in the same scenario decide on the best path to take. Most consumers don't ticker or change the setup unless something is wrong. So the lifehacker link, old and invalid as it may be today, was valid and something that many of us here used.
Thank you mamejunkie for understanding my intentions and posting this to begin with.
@stutch: I read every word of your post. It's bad advice. I am tired of steering people away from that outdated lifehacker article. If you want to take it personally then that's your loss. I'm removing this guide from your post. You really have no place getting mad for assuming people didn't read your post when you clearly haven't read our MySQL (wiki) guide.

@mamejunkie: It doesn't work like that. The XBMC wiki MySQL (wiki) guide has a page dedicated to updating the MySQL set up from old installations, including the one from Lifehacker. Telling people that they should rejailbreak their ATV2s, and that XBMC appending numbers on the database is a bug, does not help people who set up MySQL via Lifehacker.

Believe me, I've spent a lot of time writing that guide and trying to follow up on every MySQL related thread on this forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
There and Back Again: The complete guide to installing Frodo on ATV21