Solved SMB Share visible in Win Explorer, not in XBMC
Using windows explorer (win7 x64) I can see both my homegroup shares and my network shares.

On other systems in my house, I can simply add them to the homegroup, enter xbmc, add files, choose smb, and go from there.

On this latest system I put together, it worked greta last night, but then I had a boot corruption. So today I reinstalled win7 on the machine, redownloaded xbmc, joined the homegroup, and then found that when I choose SMB under Ass Files, I see nothing. I have tried completely turning rhe firewall off, I tried having the firewall on and verifying xbmc was on an exception list, and I tried just directly typing in the computers address into the file share window (parsed in the exact same format as my other systems which *can* see it.

The only different I can think of between this system and the others, is that this system is on the wireless connection from the router, and all the pc's that see eachother just fine are hardwired. But that wouldn't explain why it worked just fine last night and not now.

I tried rebooting the router, and this had the odd effect of revealing 2 of the 5 machines on my network (a wireless laptop and this computer... both of which are wireless). It's almost as though xmb simply can't see any of the wired systems on my network, but it's not quite so cut and dry, because it doesn't see my other wireless laptop either...

It seems totally random. I don't understand why this just started last night. I don't understand why rebooting my router makes 2 of the 5 machines appear. I don't understand by windows explorer on this machine can see all of the machines on the network, but xbmc can't. Any ideas? Thanks!
I solved this by adding a network location and just typing the name of the computer. Even though it doesn't come up when i try to browse SMB shares, it jumps right to it if I just manually add that smb host as its own file source.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Share visible in Win Explorer, not in XBMC0