Linux Silent HTPC for 1080p and NAS (NO GAMING)
Quote:Even if you are going to use green line disks (which are btw. the shittiest for NAS and this is why WD has introduced red and black series) they will be loudest part in your build.

Agreed. I haven't used the blacks yet, but I bought a pair of 2 TB reds with a USB3 enclosure for my work PC (Lenovo W520) -- they seem pretty decent as far as performance goes. I haven't really paid any attention to noise level though -- it's usually not something that's on my mind at work -- it hasn't bothered me yet, so maybe they are quieter -- not sure -- definitely more performant though -- the 64 MB cache makes a huge difference. -- My only complaint is with Windows -- apparently you can't* do softraid with external drives -- huge shame. Sad

(*: totally off-topic, but if you know of a way, please let me know -- I prefer to do raid 0 [striping] -- as even with software, it will be more performant -- but at least JBOD would be nice.)
Hey

I have recently completed a build like you are planning to. Its a NAS/HTPC/router all in one and is located in a drawer under the TV. I have only 1 WD Green and yes, its seek is by far the loudest noise the system makes - which is why it all had to go in the drawer.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-C847N with an integrated Celeron 847 as the name says. My main iselling point was the dual-gigE ports for router usage. Removed the fan, which resulted in raise of temp from 59C to 73C when running cpuburn, still - no fan means 2 watts less and this CPU should be ok as long its below 85C. Anyway, the Celeron is a decent CPU, dual core and ways faster than any atom. It is fully accelerated using VA-API and the xbmc xvba builds, running full HD x286 rips at ~20% load. I can run Aeon Nox with all candy on pretty flawlessly.

Power comes from an external brick (not in the drawer) and a PicoPSU. I think this will be your main concern - since you will need 2 SATA outlets for power and probably a brick rated at least 6A to support both drives spinning up.

Just today I got a cheap silicone cover for the disk to cut down on the vibration against the drawers floorbed and the added HDD noise. And if I mean noise, it was actually barely noticeable when it was located next to the TV, in the drawer its just an occasional humm now. Compared to any other HDD ive ever had its nothing.

Ive been keeping my eye very closely on the whole thing using the lm-sensors and hddtemp as there is 0 airflow. Only the disk temp is a bit higher than id like:

root@kala:~# hddtemp /dev/sda
/dev/sda: WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0: 56°C
(2013-02-05, 19:07)brywright Wrote: Try foxconn at-5570. just got myself one and while i am running windows, it runs absolutely fine and best of all it uses 15 watts and no fans Smile

Have you tried XBMCbuntu on the AT-5570? How is the heat and performance?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silent HTPC for 1080p and NAS (NO GAMING)0