Does XBMC or Windows DirectSound decode audio if speaker config is set to 5.1?
I have a stereo soundbar with no sub that is connected to my computer via HDMI out. In Windows I have audio set up for 2.0 stereo sound. I've played around with audio settings in xbmc, using both 5.1 and 2.0 with DirectSound. Either way, it basically sounds the same to me. Surround gets down-mixed to stereo. However, I'm wondering if set to 5.1 output, does this mean that xbmc does not decode the audio with AudioEngine, but instead just passes it through to the Windows audio driver, where it is downmixed by Windows instead? If this is the case, then what happens if I have a tv show with 2.0 audio only, does it still pass it through or does xbmc decode it? The reason I'm asking is because for some reason (it may only be in my head) I feel that audio sounds a little cleaner/clearer/louder when it is set to 5.1 even though I'm just playing back at stereo.
With DirectSound selected either can downmix the audio - XBMC if "AC3 capable receiver" is deselected, DirectSound if selected. Your choice then on which downmixes more to your liking.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks, I just figured out how to set up Wasapi correctly. Should I use that then instead of DirectSound? If I'm understanding correctly then XBMC will do the decoding/mixing, and then pass the sound out untouched from Windows audio drivers? Will this provide better sound quality? I've noticed with Wasapi none of the Windows audio enhancements work (loudness equalization, room correction, ect) This is by design since Windows is not modifying the XBMC audio, right?
If you have good audio gear WASAPI will sound better, especially with higher quality audio sources.

Those enhancements will be bypassed when using WASAPI as it won't mess with the audio - essential for bitstreaming encoded formats.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
OK, I will stick with WASAPI then since worst case it's the same or better. Since it disables volume normalization in Windows I will have to use XBMC Volume Amplification feature until a true DRC mode is incorporated into XBMC. Is there any chance of DRC landing anytime soon in the nightlies or are we still a ways off?
It was submitted back in June 2012, and again in October 2012 or so. Mostly politics I'm afraid, and a GUI settings page to be really useful for any of the DSP's.
=\

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC or Windows DirectSound decode audio if speaker config is set to 5.1?0