Need Build Advice
Let me explain my situation requirements, and then my ideas, and I'd like you to let me know what you think, any recommendations, and reasons for recommendations.

First off the most important thing to me is that this is as low cost. Ideally I'd like to spend a max of 400-600 dollars for everything. I have a living room and bedroom with tv's that I want to display content to using XBMC, with any theme like Aeon. Content will be 1080p. I'd like these clients to be low cost and be controlled via IR remote(harmony I already have), or other RF remote with keyboard. Noise is not an issue. I'm thinking I would rather not build these 2 units as it seems cheaper to buy a small pre-made nettop PC or something. Please recommend something here. My budget for each client is ideally 100-150. As a side note what do you think of the SFF Dell Optiplex 740? My college will be selling a bunch of them for basically free soon.

The second and most important piece of hardware, is a NAS that will be stored in my networking closet. I would like it to have 3 bays so that I can put 3 2TB drives in RAID 5. I would like this NAS server to run sickbeard, sabnzb and couch potato. It will serve content to the 2 XBMC clients and download all the content on its own. What should I buy/build that will be able to handle this without spending too much. My budget for this is about 300-500, drives INCLUDED. I like the idea of running freenas or unraid, as long as they can run the services I mentioned.

My head is spinning with ideas, please give me some direction.

EDIT: Do I need to run PLEX media server or anything on the NAS? Or can I configure sickbeard to download content in a format that will work well with the cients and not be transcoded??
EDIT2: I'd also like to be able to update sickbeard download lists and couchpotato download queue from the xbmc clients(this is for my parents so it needs to be simple to use). Can all XBMC clients do this?
Made a little bit of progress in the decision department. I think I wold like a Synology DS213 and inside I will put 2x 3TB drives. Does it matter which drives? WD green/red/black/what? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of moving up to a DS213+ or down to the DS213j, does it matter for the services I am running?.

Also, I would like the living room client to have a tv tuner card( I think that will enable me to have live tv from my cable provider, even the premium channels I pay for, as long as I rent a cable card from themHuh?) and I would like to be able to get the live tv from the tv tuner card in the living room, upstairs in the bedroom, is this possible? If so how please explain it more in detail and the software/services required. What do you guys thik of the arctic mc001?

APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
$49.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
$31.99

ASRock B75M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
$89.99

Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I32105
$114.99

COUGAR CF-V12H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan
$9.99
Subtotal: $296.96

Yes? No?
nettop :
Arctic mc001 - e
nas :
take a look at my server and scale down from that depending on your needs.

If you can build htpc take a look at mine and scale down depending on your needs Wink
For your media players you might want to take a look at a few of the pre-built nettops (ex zotac and Foxconn). I personally run an ID40 with a 32gb ssd and it works awesome. That might be a bit higher that your $150 budget though. You could also look at a Pivos XIOS running the Linux build.
(2013-02-06, 01:56)airy52 Wrote: Made a little bit of progress in the decision department. I think I wold like a Synology DS213 and inside I will put 2x 3TB drives. Does it matter which drives? WD green/red/black/what? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of moving up to a DS213+ or down to the DS213j, does it matter for the services I am running?.

For a NAS, I would look at the drives listed as compatible for the DS213 on their website and stick with those or at least check their forums and see if anyone is using the drives you want to use with success. NAS's can be picky about the drives they support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Build Advice0