Win Build Help
IMHO, I would say try it with the built-in GPU and then if it's not to your liking add the discrete GPU later.
(2013-02-08, 18:48)Dougie Fresh Wrote: IMHO, I would say try it with the built-in GPU and then if it's not to your liking add the discrete GPU later.

Probably the sensible course...
How can +1 your posts?
(2013-02-08, 18:49)dio_free Wrote:
(2013-02-08, 18:48)Dougie Fresh Wrote: IMHO, I would say try it with the built-in GPU and then if it's not to your liking add the discrete GPU later.

Probably the sensible course...
How can +1 your posts?

Thanks. At the bottom of each post is a little button with a [+/-] in it. You might need a minimum number of posts to see it though.
I guess I may not be able to see it yet...
Oh.

So I guess if i wanted a remote for this, I'm looking at a fairly complicated road involving IR receivers, nodules etc. Correct?
You can just get a external USB receiver/remote. Most come with an extension cord so you can place it wherever. When I had a similar case for my bedroom HTPC I just plopped it on top with a loop of electrical tape underneath -- nothing fancy.

E.g.: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6880101008

I had this version of that case:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6811147131
Oh awesome!!
If you do go with an Asrock mobo that has a CIR header, I would strongly suggest getting the ASRock Smart Remote kit that comes with a special CIR USB receiver. I have that one on an A75M ITX board and it does work very well. You cannot use a very long extension cord with it though or it will not be recognized. I can use my Harmony One universal remote to power the system on and off.
Good advice! I'll compare the prices again to see is the asrock is affordable.
Thanks

So can someone direct me to resources for installing the appropriate Linux and xbmc? Also what do I need to do after that to get the maximum content? Choose some plugins and go from there? I'm frankly a bit unsure how to proceed.
(2013-02-09, 00:47)Yukonhijack Wrote: If you do go with an Asrock mobo that has a CIR header, I would strongly suggest getting the ASRock Smart Remote kit that comes with a special CIR USB receiver. I have that one on an A75M ITX board and it does work very well. You cannot use a very long extension cord with it though or it will not be recognized. I can use my Harmony One universal remote to power the system on and off.
Or hide it inside the case with this kit- 4 IN 1 BACKLIT REMOTE AND CIR RECEIVER W/CABLE AND MOUNTING BRACKET FOR ASROCK MOTHERBOARDS

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-09, 03:09)bluray Wrote:
(2013-02-09, 00:47)Yukonhijack Wrote: If you do go with an Asrock mobo that has a CIR header, I would strongly suggest getting the ASRock Smart Remote kit that comes with a special CIR USB receiver. I have that one on an A75M ITX board and it does work very well. You cannot use a very long extension cord with it though or it will not be recognized. I can use my Harmony One universal remote to power the system on and off.
Or hide it inside the case with this kit- 4 IN 1 BACKLIT REMOTE AND CIR RECEIVER W/CABLE AND MOUNTING BRACKET FOR ASROCK MOTHERBOARDS

So the asrock would be 60 bucks more. Is it worth it for the cir header?

(2013-02-08, 19:30)Dougie Fresh Wrote: You can just get a external USB receiver/remote. Most come with an extension cord so you can place it wherever. When I had a similar case for my bedroom HTPC I just plopped it on top with a loop of electrical tape underneath -- nothing fancy.

E.g.: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6880101008

I had this version of that case:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6811147131

Hey dougie
Will these types of remotes work with a Linux based xbmc system? I only see mention of windows.

Do you suggest this case over the one I posted?
(2013-02-08, 08:28)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Everything "none-xbmc"
I'm running xbmcbuntu on my bedroom build and it works fine for just playing back from network or usb, but I wouldn't use it if you're planning to use the htpc for downloads.
The fun thing with xbmcbuntu is that it has almost no hw requirements Smile

When you say it doesn't do downloads do you mean it won't play downloaded files or it won't be able to download them itself. I don't care about the latter but the former is key.

Back to my bluray question. The pictures of the box I chose on Newegg aren't clear enough for me to see if I could remove the existing disk drive and put in a bluray drive I have already... Anyone know?
The MI-008 uses a standard 5.25" desktop optical drive. Is that what you have?

I don't think it's worth an extra $60 to be able to turn it on with the remote but that my preference. I never turn my HTPCs off anyway.

The IR receiver/media center remote I have works with OpenELEC. I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work. There's lot of experience around setting those up so it should not be hard to find the answer if that particular one needs it though. Search for "RC6 remote XMBC Linux" or something like that. There's probably threads in these forums somewhere.
Thanks dougie you're the best! I this is the bluray player I have

www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151222

I like your advice on remotes! I will look that up.

One question I forgot to ask was whether I need some sort of hdd in this build. If I am streaming stuff, those files presumably need to be stored locally right?
(2013-02-10, 05:02)dio_free Wrote: Back to my bluray question. The pictures of the box I chose on Newegg aren't clear enough for me to see if I could remove the existing disk drive and put in a bluray drive I have already... Anyone know?
Yes, you can install this "LG Electronics UH12LS28K" in MI-008 case. I'm suggesting this "SilenX EFX-12-12 120mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan" for that case too....

Here are photos w/ BD-ROM in it-

(2013-02-10, 18:48)dio_free Wrote: One question I forgot to ask was whether I need some sort of hdd in this build. If I am streaming stuff, those files presumably need to be stored locally right?
One of this "Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/60G" should do...

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build Help0