Question about HDMI audio (need help)
Hi I just installed Frodo and I'm having issues with the audio and I hope someone can help me out more..

I just bought a new DTS/DD/PCM receiver over the weekend it's an Onkyo TX-SR313 and as I said I also installed frodo. When I set the audio for HDMI also withe the ouput and passthrough when I play a movie the receiver only show up as PCM however it is only in stereo! and no matter what settings I change it never goes into surround only stereo. I never had this issue with my old receiver which was optical only no HDMI and with xbmc Eden, so obviously I was confused. I tried to use an optical cable instead of HDMI and the audio does show up now to be DD 5.1 however it's still only in stereo!

I've been playing with this yesterday and all day/night today trying every setting available on my receiver and XBMC and still no change. I'm at my witts in about this, I don;t understand why there is a difference now when trying to play audio between Eden and Frodo and likewise my old receiver and my new one.

If anyone has any tips, suggestions please lend me a hand. Yes I have been over and over again and again with the wiki info and still no change, audio is only in stereo when it should at least be in surround.

Thank you very much for any help anyone can give me I appreciate it very much for the time
Paul
2 things make that 3

1- Check first link on my signature.
2- Screenshot of your XBMC audio settings (printscrn on keyboard or record button on remote)
3- You have a new receiver great _What hardware are you connecting to it, Either I missed it or you didnt say.

Ok make it 4

4- debug log (wiki) on pastebin too

uNi
Thank you for answering my call for help...

1. Yes I have read and followed the steps under the link in your sig,
2. I'm not sure how to add a screen shot on here, I dont see an option to had an image or am I overlooking it?
3. When you say hardware are you referring to how connections? if yes then I am using HDMI, I also tried an optical cable which didn;t work either.

It's possible that my receiver is confused.... My PC only has 1 HDMI port (mini hdmi) and I use my PC for work and movies, so it's not dedicate which I wish it was.. Since I am sharing the PC between work/net and XBMC I am using a 2 way splitter... so the HDMI from my PC is going into the output port, the PC monitor in input 1 and HDMI to my receiver into the input 2 port. I'm thinking this might be the issue, when I go under audio in XBMC it does recognize my receiver shows (DIRECTSOUND HDMI TX-SR313 NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION) yet again when I play a movie it's only in 2.1 not 5.1. Also if I switch any of the audio setting the video goes nuts very choppy and stutters and no audio....

My XBMC audio setup is:
Audio Ouput: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost volume on downmix: off
Output stereo to all speakers: off
Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, Multichannel PCM, TrueHD DTS-HD all set to: On
Audio Output Device: DIRECTSOUND HDMI TX-SR313 NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION
Passthrough Output Device: DIRECTSOUND HDMI TX-SR313 NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION

I hope this info helps?

hmmm when I shut down XBMC and reopened it now under the audio output device it's showing my PC monitor instead of my receiver!
The splitter must be the reason why I'm not getting 5.1 Huh?
hmmm when I shut down XBMC and reopened it now under the audio output device it's showing my PC monitor instead of my receiver!
The splitter must be the reason why I'm not getting 5.1 HuhHuh?
btw I did also try using WASPI under the audio output device and that doesn't solve the issue either...
I mean what HTPC hardware description cpu/gpu type/brand sound card or is it using gpu?

also your receiver does it support all of that in passthrough? the Ae setup guide explains what is supported and what is not (depends on GPU/drivers too) I dont need to know what you already said like HDMI vs Optical what you havent told us is what gpu you have etc.....

wiki says ★★ WASAPI offers best quality if connected to an AVR or DAC but may not always work, and Directsound offers better compatibility and should work in just about all equipment configurations. The only time WASAPI must be used is when trying to passthrough HD audio

So again if you do not have a HTPC that can output HD audio (as some cannot) true HD and DTSHD should be disabled and Definetly disable AAC since your avr likely cannot do it so like wiki says wasapi if your trying to passthrough audio and enabling all those option in XBMC is actually enabling passthrough.

to insert images upload it to a image host and post direct link in [img] tags

uNi
(2013-02-08, 10:03)symetri Wrote: My XBMC audio setup is:
Audio Ouput: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost volume on downmix: off
Output stereo to all speakers: off
Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, Multichannel PCM, TrueHD DTS-HD all set to: On
Audio Output Device: DIRECTSOUND HDMI TX-SR313 NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION
Passthrough Output Device: DIRECTSOUND HDMI TX-SR313 NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION
You should be configured audio output in Frodo similar to screen shot below for bitstreaming HD audio-

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Turn off "output stereo to all speakers" and "boost on downmix". Also your amp is highly unlikely to support aac passthrough so turn it off.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@uNiversal

I see... I have NVIDIA Geforce 550 TI... from what I have read under the specs it handles Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital TRUE, DTS-HD. The PC I have is a HP HTCP media center
I purchased this because I am a videographer so I needed a media center with 5.1 audio and HD video... So I dont see any reason why it shouldn't be working

This is how I have XBMC setup

Use wasapi if you want passthrough and disable aac (no receivers can do that anyway)

Again wiki clearly states that wasapi must be used if you want HD audio passthrough and its been show to you a few times now your using directsound.

Not that I want to push more documentation but you should read actually read it Windows_Settings_for_AudioEngine (wiki) in addition.

uNi
Remove the splitter so you're connected direct to the Onkyo to see if that helps in which case you may need a proper HDMI switch. Also as already mentioned you'll only get HD audio with WASAPI, or if using Directsound the "TrueHD capable receiver" and DTS-HD capable receiver" must be disabled. You've also yet to post a debug log link despite this being requested.
Thanks I removed the spliter and now running directly from the comp to the receiver... hope it works

I have tried numerous times to post a debug log however it's not showing up
No posting debug log (wiki) use a pastebin.

uNi
Oh duh sorry I forgot I need to use a paste bin. However the problem is solved!
I got rid of the switch ans just used it directly from comp to receiver and it works flawless
Getting direct 5.1 sound now. Yay! I do appreciate all your help and now if someone else comes along with an issue like this make sure they are not using a spliter that confused the reciver it didn't know where to get the audio from and just set it to 2.1.

Thanks again for the help! And info on settings.
Feel free to mark this as solved and clearly say no to splitters, their bad mk?

uNi
Will do thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about HDMI audio (need help)1