Solved Issues Installing MythTV Backend on Ubuntu Server
I've tried several times with varying degrees of failure. The shortest number of steps to the main issues is as follows:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mythtv-backend-master
sudo passwd mythtv
(set the password)

From a remote session
Code:
ssh -X mythtv@server mythtv-setup

Configure some settings and exit. It asks if I want to start mythtv-backend, and I say yes. It now asks me for a password. I have tried the root password on the server, the mythtv password I set in step 2 above, and the password in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt. Eventually I give up, and it asks me if I want to run mythfilldatabase. I say yes, and it appears to work.

After that, unsurprisingly, I cannot connect to MythTV from xbmc (using the default cmyth add-on in Frodo). If I ssh back into that machine, and run:
Code:
sudo service mythtv-backend status
I get:
mythtv-backend stop/waiting

Obviously, I need to start the service, so logically, I run:
Code:
sudo start mythtv-backend

Then just to sanity check, I check the status again, and it still says stop/waiting. For what it's worth, the same command on mysql shows start/running. This is on a fresh install of Ubuntu server, but I'm not opposed to wiping it again and starting from scratch if that would help. I have to be doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.
My personal preference is just starting with Mythbuntu (iso) or Ubuntu minimal (iso) + mythbuntu-desktop.

Mythbuntu-desktop grabs everything you need, including gui for configuring myth-setup.

To see what will be installed, you can run these...

sudo apt-get -s install mythbuntu-desktop

or

sudo apt-get -s install mythtv

If you chose the later (mythtv) you will still need mythbuntu-control-centre to chose updates and help configure MythTV.
I was hoping to avoid mythbuntu since I don't need X on this machine, but I'll give mythbuntu-desktop a try and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quick update: mythbuntu-desktop appears to be working (in that I can connect to it from my xbmc box), but the package requires X to be installed. So, while it's good to know that will work if I can't get just the back end sorted out, I think I've made some progress on my initial issue.

I followed this guide:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythb...figuration

and myththtv-backend will run for a few seconds, but then it dies. If I keep running
Code:
sudo mythtv-backend status
right after it starts, it will cycle through a handful of different process IDs before it quites and reverts to "stop/waiting."
Hi, I've had issues like those in your first post and I've found the solution is to run the setup as root. I also get card permission problems if I run the setup as a normal user.

If it's any help I find this guide works well:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV...er/Backend

It covers everything including mysql setup etc.

As I say the only thing I do differently is to run the setup as root.
(2013-02-11, 11:53)mrpeacock Wrote: Hi, I've had issues like those in your first post and I've found the solution is to run the setup as root. I also get card permission problems if I run the setup as a normal user.

If it's any help I find this guide works well:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV...er/Backend

It covers everything including mysql setup etc.

As I say the only thing I do differently is to run the setup as root.

I've used that guide before, but never thought to run mythtv-setup as root (even though, now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense). Now, I can get through that part, but I still can't get the service to stay running (same issues posted previously). Thanks for the tip, though. At this point, any progress is good.
One last follow-up regarding my service issues. I had gotten lazy from setting this up so many times that I hadn't been completely configuring everything (mb). Thanks to this post, I went through the entire process, and it works like a charm.

http://www.mythtvtalk.com/new-mythtv-ins...#post56430

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and tips.
You did not enable the mysql service. from a command line type sudo mythbuntu-control-centre . Type your sudo (root) password. On the right hand upper side select mysql. on the top left after that should be something about enabling across the network which should be yes. You can do it across the ssl. The password for the backend that you are describing is your sudo password. This is somewhat important because xbmc requires the database password which is in the general tab of the mythbackend. I am not familiar of the second part of the line above that set a password but this will allow it to be seen.

Also, you only need the prerequisites installed, not necessarily running. I routinely will stop the xserver once everything is up and use putty to display everything local. Now, I am seeing the problem may have been solved but my answer might still help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues Installing MythTV Backend on Ubuntu Server0