XBMCBUNTU HARDWARE RECOMMENDATION
Brick 
What are the Hardware that support DTSHD-MA And TRUEHD for XBMCBUNTU?
In the process of building a new HTPC...

THANKS!
For Linux, nVidia cards are your best bet for HD Audio bitstreaming. AIUI AMD/ATI don't support HD audio under Linux, and don't think Intel do either, though I may be wrong. (Under Windows all three platforms support HD Audio - it isn't a hardware limitation, it's a driver/manufacturer support for Linux issue)

I have a passive nVidia GT430 in my Linux box which bitstreams fine under Linux.
(2013-02-09, 19:29)noggin Wrote: For Linux, nVidia cards are your best bet for HD Audio bitstreaming. AIUI AMD/ATI don't support HD audio under Linux, and don't think Intel do either, though I may be wrong. (Under Windows all three platforms support HD Audio - it isn't a hardware limitation, it's a driver/manufacturer support for Linux issue)

I have a passive nVidia GT430 in my Linux box which bitstreams fine under Linux.

What motherboard and CPU are you using?
(2013-02-09, 20:22)movie94 Wrote:
(2013-02-09, 19:29)noggin Wrote: For Linux, nVidia cards are your best bet for HD Audio bitstreaming. AIUI AMD/ATI don't support HD audio under Linux, and don't think Intel do either, though I may be wrong. (Under Windows all three platforms support HD Audio - it isn't a hardware limitation, it's a driver/manufacturer support for Linux issue)

What motherboard and CPU are you using?

Box is an old i3-540 Clarkdale CPU in an Asrock ATX motherboard (don't have model number to hand). Was originally built to run Windows Media Center and be a tuner farm for DVB tuners with DVB Logic's TVSource, but has been repurposed as an experimentation box. Ran XBMC on it for a while, it's currently running an x86 build of OpenPLI.

Not an HTPC set-up!

So Any Motherboard or CPU will do,as far as i have nVidia GT430
(2013-02-09, 20:34)movie94 Wrote: So Any Motherboard or CPU will do,as far as i have nVidia GT430

Within reason - the GPU is doing the heavy lifting for video decoding, whilst the CPU will be doing the stuff for the GUI etc. I'd chose a motherboard on reputation of the manufacturer - the chipset you want, the form factor (Mini-ITX, Micro-ATX, ATX etc.), and what interfaces you need.

I've used Gigabyte, Asus and Asrock and had few problems. Only major failures I've had, in fact, have been PSUs...

Also the GT430 is quite an old card now, there are undoubtedly newer equivalents. I bought mine a while ago.

You can go for a less powerful card if you don't need decent de-interlacing and mainly watch 1080p or 720p stuff (which doesn't need as much processing as interlaced content)

I'd be looking at current Ivy Bridge Celeron's as the most basic CPU with an nVidia graphics card probably - and if you can stretch to a Pentium that would probably be good.
(2013-02-09, 20:58)noggin Wrote:
(2013-02-09, 20:34)movie94 Wrote: So Any Motherboard or CPU will do,as far as i have nVidia GT430

Within reason - the GPU is doing the heavy lifting for video decoding, whilst the CPU will be doing the stuff for the GUI etc. I'd chose a motherboard on reputation of the manufacturer - the chipset you want, the form factor (Mini-ITX, Micro-ATX, ATX etc.), and what interfaces you need.

I've used Gigabyte, Asus and Asrock and had few problems. Only major failures I've had, in fact, have been PSUs...

Also the GT430 is quite an old card now, there are undoubtedly newer equivalents. I bought mine a while ago.

You can go for a less powerful card if you don't need decent de-interlacing and mainly watch 1080p or 720p stuff (which doesn't need as much processing as interlaced content)

I'd be looking at current Ivy Bridge Celeron's as the most basic CPU with an nVidia graphics card probably - and if you can stretch to a Pentium that would probably be good.

I just purchase http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121448
Is this card too old?
And what are newer models that support XBMCBUNTU?

Thanks!
(2013-02-09, 23:12)movie94 Wrote:
(2013-02-09, 20:58)noggin Wrote:

I just purchase http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121448
Is this card too old?
And what are newer models that support XBMCBUNTU?

Thanks!

That looks like the model I am running - or similar.

It isn't really a case of 'support XBMCBuntu' - it's more a case of what performance you want.

AIUI pretty much any modern nVidia card will support 1080p H264 decoding - it's whether de-interlacing is also an issue (as 1080i takes more processing than 1080p)

I use my HTPCs for watching a lot of 576/50i and 1080/50i native interlaced content, and I like using a decent 2x Advanced de-interlacing algorithm. Because I'm in 50Hz territory (the UK) we have slightly lower processing requirements for de-interlacing than in 60Hz territories - and my 430 does a decent job of de-interlacing. (AMD and Intel GPUs currently just do a basic BOB de-interlace)

Others here will be able to equate what current card performs as well as a 430 - if indeed you need that performance. (If de-interlacing isn't an issue for you - then you probably don't) I can't really advise - I'm still running a 430. Here's a good page detailing the performance of various cards : http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU Note that this is for MythTV which I think has lower requirements for stuff like GUI - so I wouldn't use it as the only information source for your decision.

2x de-interlacing preserves the full motion of a native interlaced signal (as used in entertainment, sport, news etc.) whilst 1x de-interlacing de-interlaces to the frame rate, not the field rate, and so discards half of the motion (making native interlaced content look like it was shot on film at a low frame rate). The more advanced the algorithm, the better the vertical resolution delivered.

None of this is an issue if you are just watching 1080p or 720p content - the card then only has to accelerate the H264/VC-1/MPEG2 decoding used to compress the video.

However http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTI5Mzk also suggests that Intel GPUs CAN do HD Audio under Linux, so if you don't need decent de-interlacing, an on-board solution might be better for you.
If you are looking at nettop solutions (micro barebones systems)... look for ones powered with Nvidia ION2 or as most commonly referred to in specs sheets... "Next Generation ION" ION1 cannot do HD audio streaming while ION2 can.

As far as I know, no other mobile/built-in video chipsets can do HD audio streaming in XBMCBuntu.

Please note that these micro nettop solutions generally cannot handle more advanced skins well (Slow/Studdering), the default confluence skin works well though. Full video card solutions generally have a beefier processor then Atoms etc so they can make use of all the skins available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBUNTU HARDWARE RECOMMENDATION0