XBMC Subtitles download subtitle and does nothing
Hi.

Since the last update of XBMC Subtitles, the plugin stopped working. When I tries to download a subtitle, it finds and downloads it, but then returns to the video and nothing happens.

I tried to reinstall XBMC and the issue persists. I saw other threads about this but they all sorted out, so I decided to make a new one.

logs: http://pastebin.com/GkCNFMe0
The same thing is happening with me and I do not know how to fix it.
Please read posting rules. You need to specify what service you are using to allow people to know if they can help. Also try others and say if they work of not so we know if it is specific to your system, a service, or whatever. THERE IS NEVER TO MUCH INFORMATION.

You say Athosbr99 that it downloads the sub. So you checked there is a .srt file downloaded right? If there is a downloaded subtitle then the add-on worked and it's not an add-on issue. It's XBMC general... Or are you referring to that the subtitles add-on windows "says" downloading and then disappears? See how all this small details can help?

I see in the log Athosbr99 you are using legendasTV. At the moment that service is known to have issues we are fixing right now. Expect a fix soon enough (probably before the next millenia comes).

bnigno... same thing? same service? wanna give less info, please?
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

(2013-02-19, 10:46)jurrabi Wrote: Please read posting rules. You need to specify what service you are using to allow people to know if they can help. Also try others and say if they work of not so we know if it is specific to your system, a service, or whatever. THERE IS NEVER TO MUCH INFORMATION.

You say Athosbr99 that it downloads the sub. So you checked there is a .srt file downloaded right? If there is a downloaded subtitle then the add-on worked and it's not an add-on issue. It's XBMC general... Or are you referring to that the subtitles add-on windows "says" downloading and then disappears? See how all this small details can help?

I see in the log Athosbr99 you are using legendasTV. At the moment that service is known to have issues we are fixing right now. Expect a fix soon enough (probably before the next millenia comes).

bnigno... same thing? same service? wanna give less info, please?

I may be seeing a similar issue, though I have not extensively tested.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Intel Atom 330 NVIDIA ION setup
Frodo Release

This is using the 'XBMC Subtitles' add-on sourcing from OpenSubtitles.org. I tried using two different subtitles and neither would show any subtitles on the video. In the context menu I verified that a subtitle had been selected and enabled. I checked the add-on data in the application folder, and sure enough, there was a temporary .srt file - I popped it open in a text editor and saw valid timecodes/text. Popping back into XBMC Subtitles (while the video was still playing) it indicated that local subtitles were available. Stopping the video gets rid of the temporary file.

I have a number of video files with separate .srt files, and they load up and play fine - subs and all.

My media locations are set to read-only in this setup, and I was uncertain if .srt files needed to get copied over to the same location as the video file?

I'll try a bit more experimentation over the next few days.
So I've tried a few more movies, and I can't get downloaded subtitles to work still. The .srt files look to have valid data in them, but nothing gets displayed. And just in case, I copied one of the .srt files to the local directory of the video file (from the sub_tmp directory after the plugin had downloaded it), stopped and resumed play, and lo-and-behold subtitles display.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
(2013-02-20, 07:06)jdawg70 Wrote: My media locations are set to read-only in this setup, and I was uncertain if .srt files needed to get copied over to the same location as the video file?

(2013-02-26, 01:31)jdawg70 Wrote: So I've tried a few more movies, and I can't get downloaded subtitles to work still. The .srt files look to have valid data in them, but nothing gets displayed. And just in case, I copied one of the .srt files to the local directory of the video file (from the sub_tmp directory after the plugin had downloaded it), stopped and resumed play, and lo-and-behold subtitles display.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

By default xbmc-subtitles downloads subtitles to the same folder as the video. If it can't (and the add-on figures it out) it asks to download to a temporal location.

In the add-on configuration you can select if you want subtitles downloaded to the same location as video files (default) or another configurable location. The recommended use (and what most of us do) is to download to movie directory since that way they will be accesible by any other xbmc/player installation...

Also I'm not sure if you download to an alternative location if xbmc will find this same downloaded subtitles in future plays or if it will work just that once after download.

My recommendation is to activate write permissions for xbmc on your video sources. But it is your call.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.

(2013-02-26, 10:40)jurrabi Wrote: By default xbmc-subtitles downloads subtitles to the same folder as the video. If it can't (and the add-on figures it out) it asks to download to a temporal location.

In the add-on configuration you can select if you want subtitles downloaded to the same location as video files (default) or another configurable location. The recommended use (and what most of us do) is to download to movie directory since that way they will be accesible by any other xbmc/player installation...

Also I'm not sure if you download to an alternative location if xbmc will find this same downloaded subtitles in future plays or if it will work just that once after download.

My recommendation is to activate write permissions for xbmc on your video sources. But it is your call.

Thanks for the clarifications. However, from the sounds of it, this sort of sounds like a bug? Because it is pulling the subtitles, putting them in the proper temporary location (in my case, just whatever defaults - AppData/Roaming/blahblahblah), recognizing that a subtitle exists, but not displaying them. For future plays, I'm quite certain it won't work as I think the subtitles in the temporary location get deleted when playback stops.

You know, thinking this one through, it sounds like what's happening is that it is pulling the subtitle into the temporary location, attempting to copy/move that subtitle to the directory with the media file, and then silently failing. XBMC looks like it expects the subtitle to therefore exist in the media directory but fails to find it. Which, if not necessarily a bug, is somewhat unexpected behavior - at least an error message probably makes some sense to display (assuming I'm correct in what's happening).

I'm going to try to explicitly specify an alternative location to see if that changes behavior.

For now, the functionality really only has very limited use for me so it really isn't a big deal. I do have some compelling reasons to keep my media locations read-only from this particular machine, but it sounds like if I really needed to use the add-on immediately write permissions to the folder would be the way to go.

Thanks!
jdawg: One thing is the temporary folder where the script downloads/uncompresses the subs and another the alternative subs folder you can configure in addon configuration. The first is always in the data_addon folder (usually not accessed by users) and the other can be anywhere in your disks/network. In this second place subs are not deleted.

DONE

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Subtitles download subtitle and does nothing0