advancedsettings.xml inheritance with user profiles
I have a question about advancedsettings.xml inheritance with user profiles in Win 7 x64.

According to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml, "may be created by a user in their "/userdata/" folder". So, it goes in the /userdata/folder.

In this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ttings.xml it says that with user profiles, the advancedsettings.xml file goes in each XBMC users' folder, such as userdata\profiles\User1, userdata\profiles\User2 and userdata\profiles\User3.

The user profiles wiki doesn't help either way: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=profiles, though it does say that "All options stored in the userdata folder can be customized per profile, allowing for an amazing amount of flexibility".

So, my question is: do the settings inside a userdata\advancedsettings.xml, override those in userdata\profiles\User1\advancedsettings.xml? Or is it the other way round, as in conflicting entries in userdata\profiles\User1\advancedsettings.xml take precedence over those in userdata\advancedsettings.xml (like MS AD GPO processing for example)? Or maybe if both files exist, one is completely ignored? (That is, it's not granular down to the settings level, just the file level.) I'm hoping that it supports granular inheritance (like GPOs) so that a setting in the userdata\advancedsettings.xml file will apply to all profiles unless there is an override of it in userdata\profiles\User1\advancedsettings.xml. I've done a search and can't see a clear statement either way.

Anyone know? (Yes, I could run a series of experiments to find out, but before embarking on that, I thought I'd ask.)

TIA
m
Tumbleweed?
default profile, the main userdata folder advancedsetting.xml file, will load first if you open to the log-in screen. Once you select a secondary profile it will use their /profiles/username/ advancedsetting file. I do not believe settings are inherited once the secondary profile is loaded.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can confirm this - I did some experimentation last night. Basically, for any user login, XMBC only loads one advancedsetting.xml file, with the one in the /profile/username taking priority over the main (master) advancedsetting.xml file if it exists. For example, if a master advancedsetting.xml exists but I log in as Fred and no advancedsetting.xml exists for Fred, it does read the master file. If a advancedsetting.xml for both the master profile and Fred, it ignores the master file.

There is no inheritance / granularity of settings therefore: it is only as granular down to the file level.
Correct.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
advancedsettings.xml inheritance with user profiles0