My Pivos XIOS DS Review
Hey guys I'm not sure if anyone is reading this anymore but im struggling to find a media box (something user friendly like boxee box) that will play all my files with xbmc and allow me to surf the net. The ability to download torrents to a external drive would be awesome but not a priority at $130. I recently bought a Strong AN4 device (android) which is slow and rubbish if u try to run xbmc on it, so was looking at a Apple TV 2 jail broken or a wdtv live (which is crap because it dosent have the movie library interface as xbmc or boxee)
If u could shed some light on this that would be great.
I just want to plug a 2tb external drive w all my movies and music on it and from time to time add some files to it as well as get on the web (YouTube and torrents sites pretty much)

Thank u in advance
(2013-04-22, 14:12)AxelNose Wrote: Hey guys I'm not sure if anyone is reading this anymore but im struggling to find a media box (something user friendly like boxee box) that will play all my files with xbmc and allow me to surf the net. The ability to download torrents to a external drive would be awesome but not a priority at $130. I recently bought a Strong AN4 device (android) which is slow and rubbish if u try to run xbmc on it, so was looking at a Apple TV 2 jail broken or a wdtv live (which is crap because it dosent have the movie library interface as xbmc or boxee)
I just want to plug a 2tb external drive w all my movies and music on it and from time to time add some files to it as well as get on the web (YouTube and torrents sites pretty much)

Thank u in advance

Don't bother with Apple TV 2, I have switched from ATV2 to XIOS DS (M3), it outperforms ATV2 for miles.
The Linux version of XBMC works silky smooth on XIOS DS (M3). I have plug in my external drive (750GB) and all media play smoothly without issue.
Try XIOS DS, you will love it.

The only issue that I have with the box is that when you play HD movie one after another, sometime the framerate will drop. You will need to manually reboot the machine.

Good luck.
Sad 
(2013-02-12, 15:42)buzzqw Wrote:
Quote:4) HD resolution
Not only does this device allow for hardware decoding, but it takes a lot of the guesswork out of screen resolution issues. There is no need for screen refresh hacks or choosing 23.976/25/50/60hz. By removing a lot of this option, there is also no need to re-sample any audio.

so it support 23.976/25/50/60hz. AND 24 fps or not ?
or it will resample all to 50 or 60 ?

it is able to switch tv refresh to 23.976/24/25/29.97/30/59.98/60 ?

BHH

Sorry to say it does not bother with 24p at all :-(
You can set refresh rate 50 Hz of 60 Hz and that is all.
It is not able to switch tv to 23.976. 24p content is very laggy.
In my opinion option for screen refresh hack was removed b/c there is NO solution for handling 24p.
I have tested uptoday build: http://pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3793
We need to wait, xios looks promising despite http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...8&start=70
there is no mention on progress from April Sad
(2013-04-22, 14:12)AxelNose Wrote: Hey guys I'm not sure if anyone is reading this anymore but im struggling to find a media box (something user friendly like boxee box) that will play all my files with xbmc and allow me to surf the net. The ability to download torrents to a external drive would be awesome but not a priority at $130. I recently bought a Strong AN4 device (android) which is slow and rubbish if u try to run xbmc on it, so was looking at a Apple TV 2 jail broken or a wdtv live (which is crap because it dosent have the movie library interface as xbmc or boxee)

Thank u in advance

Ouya if surround sound is not huge to you. It should be fixed eventually though.
What's the difference between the M3 model and "media play" model? Or am I being a ficko, they're both the same?

Where's the best place to get one for UK?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Rumpy bumpy!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

How's the Pivos perform over wi-fi anyone know?
(2013-10-11, 22:14)jammyb Wrote: What's the difference between the M3 model and "media play" model? Or am I being a ficko, they're both the same?

Where's the best place to get one for UK?

There are M1 and M3 based models:

http://www.j1nx.nl/xbmc-amlogic-8726-m-p...stigation/
I have the m3 model pivos running Linux xbmc
I've used wifi and it does work well but I have it hard wired since 1gig is better than wireless N
Anyway I find the box is not as smooth as my 6 core htpc of course but it is nice and cheap
It plays bluray mkv rips 1080p and 720p flawlessly, however avi bluray rips have frame rate issues mainly stutter and jerky video. The support at pivos says the avi bluray rips I have are not proper video formats ( I downloaded them from the internet) anyway, it's disappointing since I have allot oft hose files as I use to grab smaller files to save space. Now I use only 4-5 gig 720p files mtv and the pivos has no problem with those
For less than $100 it's a perfect solution
I thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11230764.htm

Do not buy the Pivos XIOS DS does not support 24P and has not Sync playback

Yesterday I tried the Pivos XIOS DS just purchased and with much regret I find these limitations. Sad

In the page of the wiki is not reported this major limitation, it is a big oversight! Confused

It should be written BIG and RED! Angry
NO support 24p
NO support Sync playback
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
This (24p) stopped me from purchasing a xios awhile back as a main media player. I am considering it as a secondary player where 24p is not important.

This information is available if searching through the forums. However, the supported video output should be on the specs page.
Not many Android boxes support 24p, not many at all.
No Android box supports display switching.
(2014-02-27, 17:15)davilla Wrote: Not many Android boxes support 24p, not many at all.

What about with a Linux build?
(2014-02-27, 17:15)davilla Wrote: Not many Android boxes support 24p, not many at all.

Nor Android boxes running Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Pivos XIOS DS Review1