CASE
SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B
PSU
Diablotek 350-Watt ATX Power Supply PHD350
RAM
Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB
SSD
OCZ Technology 30 GB Vertex Series SATA II Solid State Drive

Is these good enough to Handle DTSHD-MA and DOLBY TRUEHD..

AND GOOD QUALITY PICTURE....

THANKS!
I can't speak for the audio,....there are better people here for that question,...but,...

I'd recommend getting at least a 64GB SSD minimum. That is if you're going to run Windows.
It's amazing how little things can sneak their way onto a boot drive if you're not careful.

All else looks good. You'll really like the case!
(2013-02-12, 13:56)movie94 Wrote: Here is my build.

CPU
AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor
CASE
PSU
RAM
SSD

THANKS!

I echo the comments re the SSD, 64GB and SATA3should be considered a minimum for a Windows build. I would also be hesitant of getting a $20 PSU, you get what you pay for and $20 is not much. Look for a Be Quiet 300W L7 or a Silverstone Strider PSU, you pay more but its worth it.

You haven't listed a motherboard, which one are you thinking of getting?

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Like it....
(2013-02-12, 16:08)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2013-02-12, 13:56)movie94 Wrote: Here is my build.

CPU
AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor
CASE
PSU
RAM
SSD

THANKS!

I echo the comments re the SSD, 64GB and SATA3should be considered a minimum for a Windows build. I would also be hesitant of getting a $20 PSU, you get what you pay for and $20 is not much. Look for a Be Quiet 300W L7 or a Silverstone Strider PSU, you pay more but its worth it.

You haven't listed a motherboard, which one are you thinking of getting?

David

Update with motherboard
I guess nobody cares if my build is good or not..

What a forum.....
You haven't said what OS you are planning to run - Windows or Linux (including OpenElec etc.) - and what your requirements are - so it is quite difficult to provide feedback.

Under Windows AMD solutions will do HD Audio Bitstreaming (i.e. Dolby True HD / DTS HD-HR and MA) over HDMI - as well as multichannel PCM. However under Linux the current AMD drivers (and this has been the case for a long time) limit HDMI audio to DD/DTS (legacy DVD quality) lossy compressed audio and (I think) stereo PCM 2.0.

If you want HD Audio but don't want to run Windows - than AMD solutions aren't good. If you're happy with PCM 2.0/DD/DTS audio under Linux it's not a problem.
(2013-02-14, 02:54)noggin Wrote: You haven't said what OS you are planning to run - Windows or Linux (including OpenElec etc.) - and what your requirements are - so it is quite difficult to provide feedback.

Under Windows AMD solutions will do HD Audio Bitstreaming (i.e. Dolby True HD / DTS HD-HR and MA) over HDMI - as well as multichannel PCM. However under Linux the current AMD drivers (and this has been the case for a long time) limit HDMI audio to DD/DTS (legacy DVD quality) lossy compressed audio and (I think) stereo PCM 2.0.

If you want HD Audio but don't want to run Windows - than AMD solutions aren't good. If you're happy with PCM 2.0/DD/DTS audio under Linux it's not a problem.

Windows8 + XBMC

I guess the best way to go to achieve HD Audio..

Is my Hardware good enough to support HD Audio and Good picture quality?
(2013-02-14, 03:05)movie94 Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 02:54)noggin Wrote: You haven't said what OS you are planning to run - Windows or Linux (including OpenElec etc.) - and what your requirements are - so it is quite difficult to provide feedback.

Windows8 + XBMC

Think you should be OK with 1080p and 720p content, and HD Audio with that CPU and Motherboard. I haven't used Windows 8 (apart from briefly trialling the Release Candidate. I didn't get on with the new UI so have stuck with Win 7 for my Windows machines) I've built one PC around an ASRock board and it hasn't caused any problems.

Do you watch interlaced content?

I've built a Sandy Bridge Pentium machine in that case (though not with that PSU - I used a Silverstone Strider) as a Windows Media Center build for my dad. It's a nice, simple case. Don't think mine came with any case fans - so might be worth checking that. (The Pentium I used had a TDP of 35W, whereas the A8 you're proposing has a TDP of 100W - so you may need to think a bit more carefully about cooling than I did)

30GB sounds a bit snug for Windows - would look at 60/64GB drives if you can.
(2013-02-14, 03:22)noggin Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 03:05)movie94 Wrote:

Windows8 + XBMC

Think you should be OK with 1080p and 720p content, and HD Audio with that CPU and Motherboard. I haven't used Windows 8 (apart from briefly trialling the Release Candidate. I didn't get on with the new UI so have stuck with Win 7 for my Windows machines) I've built one PC around an ASRock board and it hasn't caused any problems.

Do you watch interlaced content?NO

I've built a Sandy Bridge Pentium machine in that case (though not with that PSU - I used a Silverstone Strider) as a Windows Media Center build for my dad. It's a nice, simple case. Don't think mine came with any case fans - so might be worth checking that. (The Pentium I used had a TDP of 35W, whereas the A8 you're proposing has a TDP of 100W - so you may need to think a bit more carefully about cooling than I did)What kind of cooling are you suggesting?

30GB sounds a bit snug for Windows - would look at 60/64GB drives if you can.Need to upgrade the harddrive..
When it comes to cooling - because I was using such a low power CPU I just put a single 80mm fan in the case, used the Intel stock cooler, and whatever the PSU had in it.

To be honest I didn't really think much about it - as the case had originally been bought for a passive E350 motherboard (i.e. no heatsink fan) I'd just put something in to keep the air moving a bit!

As your CPU has nearly 3x the TDP as mine I'm suggesting you might need a bit more than a single 80mm fan? Also pointing out that the case doesn't come with any (or didn't in the UK when I bought mine)

(Also - just a helpful suggestion - but that last post was pretty tricky to read. If you want people to offer advice and read your posts - they do need to be quite easy to read)
AMD A8-3850 APU can playback 1080P video, bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD audio and 3d with ease.....

We discussed about this APU in this forum since 2011......here are some tests- AMD A8-3850 APU Review: Llano Hits the Desktop.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-14, 03:59)bluray Wrote: AMD A8-3850 APU can playback 1080P video, bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD audio and 3d with ease.....

We discussed about this APU in this forum since 2011......here are some tests- AMD A8-3850 APU Review: Llano Hits the Desktop.....

Do you the CPU is too old?
What am i missing.

No DTSHD MA or TrueHD Audio

And the video is choppy
Never mind,works great.

Change the output to WASAPI...

Now to find out how to auto-start XBMC in windows 8

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FINALLY MY BUILD0