Frustrated
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read my post. This is my first time posting but I have been reading the forum for roughly 6 months. I know this topic has come up over and over again but I'm going to ask it again.

I'm trying to decide between a NAS, Media Server, HTPC.

Which media streamer will work best for me?

My setup consists of

Smart Panel with Cat 5/ Doccis 3 modem/ Linksys ea4500 Gigabit router, 50 Mbps internet service.

Living room : Samsung tv (not smart), Xbox 360, Apple TV 2 (XBMC), Bluray player, TP link 5 port gigabit switch Pioneer Receiver

Master Bed : ps3, Samsung Smart TV, TP link 5 port gigabit switch (possible apple TV 3)

Theater/Computer rm : Projector, Pioneer Receiver, ps3, printer, TP link 5 port gigabit switch (possible apple TV 3) This room also has my Main PC but has it's own cat 5 on the other side of the room.

Family room : Samsung TV (not smart), Wii, Bluray, (possible apple tv 3) no cat 5 at this location.

Mobile Devices : ipad 2, 2 x iphone 5, 2 x ipod touch, Samsung galaxy s2, and a accer android tablet, Laptop with Windows Vista

I already bought 5 x 3tb WD Red drives ( jumped the gun). 2 x Apple tv 3 but I could return them.( hoping jailbreak will be out soon)

I originally was going to buy the Synology ds1512+ http://www.synology.com/products/product...2B&lang=us and keep it in my smart panel/closet or at my rack in my theater room.
I thought I would use all 5 drives in raid 6 or 5? never used raid before. I picked this NAS as I liked I could add on 2 more 5 bay expansions if needed. http://www.synology.com/products/DX513.php?lang=us
I already have 1 TB of 720p, 2 TB of 1080p, 2.5 TB 480p, and 60 GB of Music. All the Movies are in MKV format.

I basically want to be able to have all my media in one location and be able to access it 24/7 to all devices when at home and on the go in the best quality possible. I still need to figure out a way to back everything up. I love having apps on my iphone to control and access my media and sources. Airplay is something I like having also but would come after quality and performance.

Do you guys think the NAS is going to be the best option or should I build another pc. I do need it to be quiet and energy efficient. Also is the apple tv route the best way to go or would you recommend a better streamer?

Any info is helpful
Thanks!
Not sure about the rest, but do yourself a favour and sell the ATV3's. there is no jailbreak on the horizon and it's unlikely many people are working on finding one right now based on recent communications from people in the know.

I will follow your thread, as I am starting to contemplate the same thing (storing all my media on one location).
you could just build yourself a server for a lot less with much more expandibtlity. many threads on here especially regarding unraid.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
Wow! That's a lot of equipment.

Check out what I said to another poster regarding Raid 5 (or 6)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frustrated1