can i make a rpi share hdds?
I will be downloading and ripping all of my media on my Mac and would like to be able to save them right to the raspBerry pi that would have my 2tb external hdd
(2013-02-13, 20:15)Justyn93 Wrote: I will be downloading and ripping all of my media on my Mac and would like to be able to save them right to the raspBerry pi that would have my 2tb external hdd

Looks like you can do it via samba:

http://simonthepiman.com/how_to_setup_wi...server.php
I would also like to be able to use the pi for xbmc
(2013-02-13, 21:52)Justyn93 Wrote: I would also like to be able to use the pi for xbmc

RASBMC is based on debian linux so no problem installing samba along with it.
Okay thanks for your help.
For those looking to use an Raspberry Pi with XBMC, it works but its quite slow. I was using one as my HTPC for about 2 months (running OpenEelec) until I just couldnt take it any more. I was using wireless to stream the videos from my desktop to the Pi which was part of the problem. It can be done but it locked up quite a bit and I would HIGHLY recommend you use an ethernet cable.

Using a SAMBA share is the best way to go I found.
It certainly was for me. Slow to use the GUI with OpenElec, slow to buffer, froze and crashed on almost everything I was watching. I wasn't using RaspBMC as used in that YouTube video, rather a stable release of Openelec. Maybe that was it but I can say for sure I wont be going back to the Pi as my media centre.
Looks like a slight overclock will help.

Right now I have my XBMCBuntu server hooked up my tv and some busted screen laptop on my living room TV. But eventually I want to replace all those with raspberry pi's for streaming devices with the HDMI CEC remote support.
If you run OpenELEC, put your storage on an attached USB hard drive, and overlclock the Pi it's faster than an AppleTV2 by a long shot. It takes a bit of tweaking but once you do it's a very smooth experience. The Quartz Reloaded skin by Pecinko is perfect for the Pi, looks great and runs really well. I've bought two Pi's and plan to purchase more!

To your question, yes you can. I have two external HD's plugged into my Pi, one has a 32GB partition for XBMC and another ~2TB NTFS partition, the other is a 2.5TB NTFS drive, both drives are automatically shared over Samba at IP/media/sharename. I can stream files on another TV two floors up no problem.

You may also be interested in this: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...nzbd-Suite which can handle downloading for you and will download files directly onto the HD plugged into your Pi. I use it with Usenet (it also does torrents), it turns your Pi into an internet based PVR.
The NTFS driver is a bad CPU hog, I ended up making my external ext4 and my cpu usage dropped from 80% while transferring to 30%. Also transferring over a network via smb is half as fast as ftp. I've set my download server running ubuntu server to upload using ftp via mounted fuse folders taking approx 4-5 mins for 1.5gb as opposed to 10 mins over smb.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can i make a rpi share hdds?0