ATV1 Foot Mod
Just for the record, I figured it'd be nice to throw up some pictures of my recently modded ATV1. I've had it for two years and finally did the Broadcom Card mod last week in an effort to get better performance. Once I pulled the rubber base off I was shocked to see a perforated chassis with no way to really dissipate heat or allow airflow. I originally put two strips of wood on the sides to keep it 3/4" off the shelf, but decided that I could do better. Flipping over the ATV1, I added small pieces of 3M double-faced automotive trim tape to the corners, then added four brushed metal cabinet pulls which I bought at Home Depot.

As you can see, Apple provided plenty of air holes for the ATV1 to "breath" LOL, but then put a thick rubber pad over them. Now maybe that pad is conductive in some way, but I'm old school and I figure my approach will allow more air to flow.

The brushed metal cabinet pulls are pretty solid cast pieces, and they lift the unit up about 1" off the surface. While the tape is thick enough to absorb any vibration, I figured some thin clear vinyl adhesive pads would make sure the ATV doesn't vibrate from the sound of movies.

The finished product back in its regular spot in the cabinet (home built) under my Mitsubishi 65" DLP.

The XMBC, Boxee, and openelec community has helped me so many times in the past couple of years... I figured I'd share my little project with everyone. And I should mention the handles cost under $16.00 but I already got compliments from my weekend family guests asking me what that fancy stereo component was LOL.
nice Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV1 Foot Mod0