Another Annoying Person Looking for Perosnalized Answer for Hardware Needs
Hi All,

I apologize in advance for posting something that applies to me personally, but I am at a loss.
I LOVE; L-O-V-E XBMC.
I want it on my TV though.
I bought a GBox Midnight, but the XBMC android Frodo software could not read either my 2TB or my 3TB Harddrive. SO I want something better.
  • My Budget; $250 (Would like to be at $175)
  • I will use this for; 99% XBMC (My movie collection on External HDD); .05% YouTube; .05% Pandora

I do not know how to build a computer, and am losing my mind watching my files on my laptop. So I am looking for a quick way to get a HTPC.
I just wasnt happy with the GBOX and probably will not be happy with PIVOS either. I found the below devices.

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Network-At...sku=806852

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/zyxel-nsa310...stingId=-1

Does anybody know if these kind of things work for what I want out of my server/XBMC?
Do you have any suggestions for another type of hardware for a needy/uninformed/untechnical person such as myself?
Should I just give up and continue to cry myself to sleep every night?

Thank you!
Both of those devices will not do what you want,..which is run XBMC.
They are simply media servers,....and in fact, they don't include any Hard Drives.
So right away,..add at least $200 to each of those devices.

I think you best bet is to talk to someone that can build one for you.
Private IM user: dougie
He can offer suggestions.
Don't compare the gbox to a Pivos... The Pivos is in its own league.
Thank you both.
I am glad you said that about Pivos. I was looking into it, but the GBOX was received better than Pivos on Amazon (prob shouldnt base decisions off ratings anyways).
Now my question would be though; Is it XBMC's Android Software that will not read my externals or was it the GBOX? Because the GBOX read my external, but XBMC did not.

Any other opinions?
Hey I just found this! I havent heard much traffic on this unit on the Forum. Any opinions on it?
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/free-shipping-...tml?c=2296
(2013-02-14, 23:16)FSUNoles27TS Wrote: Hey I just found this! I havent heard much traffic on this unit on the Forum. Any opinions on it?
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/free-shipping-...tml?c=2296

Um, you didn't look very hard Smile Smile

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155073
(2013-02-14, 22:08)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't compare the gbox to a Pivos... The Pivos is in its own league.

I'd certainly agree with you there Ned, the Pivos is in a league well below the gbox Rofl
(2013-02-15, 02:33)bluepeter Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 22:08)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't compare the gbox to a Pivos... The Pivos is in its own league.

I'd certainly agree with you there Ned, the Pivos is in a league well below the gbox Rofl

Maybe Pivos should just exit the business... oh wait, then gbox would have no one to grab code/binaries from Smile

Just so we don't get confused, if you look in Pivos github, we have lots of activity going on regarding the actual code, while gbox just seems to be busy copying what pivos does and doing zero real work towards improving or adding features. So which league would you like to belong, one that follows or one that leads Smile
(2013-02-15, 03:53)davilla Wrote:
(2013-02-15, 02:33)bluepeter Wrote:

Maybe Pivos should just exit the business... oh wait, then gbox would have no one to grab code/binaries from Smile

Just so we don't get confused, if you look in Pivos github, we have lots of activity going on regarding the actual code, while gbox just seems to be busy copying what pivos does and doing zero real work towards improving or adding features. So which league would you like to belong, one that follows or one that leads Smile

''Live by the sword, die by the sword''
Hi there,
I'm in the same boat as you and just ordered parts for my HTPC. Dougie was very helpful (among others) in determining what parts to go with. These HTPCs are very easy to put together and I'm happy to walk you through the assembly as I have done this before. Here is the build i used with Canadian prices. If you check NewEgg.com you can probably get an ever better price. This is what I ordered.

RAM $25 Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996586
CASE $45 APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
MOBO $60 ECS H61H2-I3 (v1.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
CPU $50 G540
FAN $7 GELID Solutions FN-PX12-15 120mm Case cooler
GPU $40 SPARKLE 700009 GeForce GT 610 1GB 64-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card
USB $8 ADATA Classic Series C008 16GB Retractable USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model AC008-16G-RKD

Total: $235 CAD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another Annoying Person Looking for Perosnalized Answer for Hardware Needs0