What's more important, cpu power or ram?
Hey guys, I finally have sold the wife on ditching the $180 a month cable bill for XBMC. I'm looking to buy a cheap computer off Craigslist and plop it in my tv cabinet. I have a 50" flat screen that has monitor input and I dont need 5.1 or anything overly fancy like that, just need to be able to watch our favorite shows and stream some kids shows.
My question is, what should I be looking for? Do I need a dual/quad core processor or can I get away with a p4, do I need an amazing video card, or do I just need a crap load of ram? I plan on running XBMC over windows. I have it on my laptop and love it. I want to still be able to surf the web and utilize netflix on it, but I don't game, I have an xbox for that.
You want to ditch the cable company, and you mentioned Netflix.

What exactly will you be using XBMC for? Do you have any digital media stored at your house already?
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
You want something relatively recent. A P4 would be something you don't want.

I highly suggest building your own PC rather than "plopping" something your TV cabinet. The P4 (Pentium 4? I hope not lol....) wouldn't work in your tv cabinet for example. That'd be sure to have heat issues. If you want to place something in a TV cabinet you need something that generates very little heat.

Luckily there are new products on the market that are cheap and do this.

I suggest a J1800 or a Kabini platform for this. Both can be built relatively easily around the $200 range (more or less) depending on what parts you use/need.

IMO, this would be a far better solution. Purchasing a cheap PC off craigslist you'll most likely get something made that is older. Within the last 2-3 years HUGE leaps in power management have been made. The only real processors I'd recommend for tv cabinet use would be ones that are new as they have the lowest power consumption (and therefore less heat to disspiate) than anything you'd get on craigslist that'd most likely generate 2-4 times the amount of power/heat and therefore overheat in a cabinet and possibly cause your other componenets to overheat. Last thing you want is a broken AVR. Had that happen to my friend when he put his AVR in a cabinet with tons of other heat generating components and he loved his 3 month RMA process.

For that $180 a month you're saving, really should just get the correct solution rather than something that will no doubt make the wife upset. Can't imagine any woman being happy seeing some old cheap PC off craigslist in the living room.
My first ever HTPC was a Acer Revo 3610 from Craigslist:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid612547

Picked it up for $250 - 3 1/2 years ago. It ran XBMC, SABnzbd, Sickbeard, and CouchPotato. It played everything I needed it to back then (no 3D, obviously). It even recorded live TV via Windows Media Center & the HD Homerun. I had it tucked away in a coat closet with my Yamaha A/V Receiver. I eventually sold it to a client for $250, and it's still running just fine in a doctor's office lobby, playing kids/family movies.

So, it's not true that you can't find a good HTPC on Craigslist.

I also bought a ATV1 from Craigslist for $85 a couple years ago, added a Crystal HD card for $30, and it runs Crystalbuntu in my bedroom just fine.

Right now my main HTPC is in a TV cabinet, but I cut this dual exhaust fan into the cabinet. My cable TV DVR & HTPC share the same cabinet space, and everything is running cool as the other side of the pillow:

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AI-CFD...B009CO543S

By the way, the parts I used for my HTPC are outdated now, but it will give you an idea of a small Mini-ITX case that will fit in a TV cabinet, and run cool. I spent about $320 for it 2 years ago:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1070956

Here are some pics of the build:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1067856

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1069965

So, to summarize:

1. Take any advice you get on this forum with a grain of salt.
  2. Do as much research as you can before buying anything.
  3. Figure out what your end goal is. XBMC on 1 TV or multiple TVs? Do you need Windows for Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon streaming? Do you want to use other apps like SAB, SB, or CP? Maybe you'll eventually build a server for your media?
  4. Have fun with it!!

Good luck!! Big Grin
If all your gonna do is streaming (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, various add-ons not mentioned here, ect...) maybe you would be satisfied with something like an Amazon FireTV. $99 and comes with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon streaming (of course you need a subscription those services), xbmc is not too difficult to install if you follow the wiki, and its small and low power.

What ever you decide though, the wiki will be your friend.
well, I have desktop in my office that is a little older, it has a p4, 2.8ghz, and 1gb of ram, running windows xp... I installed xbmc and it ran flawlessly.

As far as the heat issues, My TV cabinet sits in a corner so there is ample space behind it to place a pc and let it remain out of sight. as far as a remote, I am using this

micro wireless keyboard with touchpad

and it is awesome!! I can use it for xbmc and surfing the web.Been testing it out on my laptop and love it.

So I am going to find a cheap used desktop with the best components for a reasonable price, throw a 1tb drive in it for media storage, and let her roll.
(2014-05-01, 23:24)no1udknow Wrote: Hey guys, I finally have sold the wife on ditching the $180 a month cable bill for XBMC. I'm looking to buy a cheap computer off Craigslist and plop it in my tv cabinet. I have a 50" flat screen that has monitor input and I dont need 5.1 or anything overly fancy like that, just need to be able to watch our favorite shows and stream some kids shows.
My question is, what should I be looking for? Do I need a dual/quad core processor or can I get away with a p4, do I need an amazing video card, or do I just need a crap load of ram? I plan on running XBMC over windows. I have it on my laptop and love it. I want to still be able to surf the web and utilize netflix on it, but I don't game, I have an xbox for that.
Use the laptop top to surf the web and get yourself the $99 Amazon Fire TV and sideload xbmc on it.

You'll be very happy.
(2014-05-04, 05:31)no1udknow Wrote: So I am going to find a cheap used desktop with the best components for a reasonable price, throw a 1tb drive in it for media storage, and let her roll.

If you provide a budget (other than reasonable price), I bet you'll get some good info on this forum, to help point you in the right direction. Nod
Quote:Use the laptop top to surf the web and get yourself the $99 Amazon Fire TV and sideload xbmc on it.

You'll be very happy.

everyone is suggesting boxes, and expensive computers, but why when I can buy a 50$ used computer off craigslist with 2 gb of ram and a dual core. then when I'm ready I can buy a 1-2TB drive for another 40$seems like a waste of $$ that i don't really have to build a rocketship when all I need is a cesna.
(2014-05-01, 23:24)no1udknow Wrote: I finally have sold the wife on ditching the $180 a month cable bill for XBMC

Quote:everyone is suggesting boxes, and expensive computers, but why when I can buy a 50$ used computer off craigslist with 2 gb of ram and a dual core. then when I'm ready I can buy a 1-2TB drive for another 40$seems like a waste of $$ that i don't really have to build a rocketship when all I need is a cesna.

Build yourself a NUC for 2 months cable bill.

Yes, you're right, you can buy yourself some big ass box from Craigslist, with fans blowing away, and using up electricity (say 200 or 300W).

But you also have a Wife. The DN2820FYKH NUC will have much more Wife Acceptance Factor than some shitty old PC. It also has an IR receiver, which most PC's on Craigslist won't have. This means your wife will be able to actually use XBMC with a remote control, rather than you pulling out an 14" wide keyboard, and mouse.

If you want Windows 8.1 on it, then get 4GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD also. 2 months cable bill. Happy Wife. No junk in your living room. Oh, and it uses 7Watts of power when in use, so its cheaper to run than a standard PC.

Cheap PC Let's say you pay 20c per kWH, and have it on 20 hours per week. 20hours x $0.20c/kWh x 0.250kW (normal PC) = $52 per year.
NUC = $1.50 per year to run.
So your cheap PC also just got $50 more expensive.
The reason people don't recommend any old random desktop is because old desktops are power hogs, put off a lot of heat, etc. Things you don't want in a HTPC.

As for your original question, neither really. These days the main thing that matters is the GPU and what it can decode in hardware. If your GPU can decode the content you want, the CPU is practically irrelevant in most situations.

My primary HTPC still to this day is an old Acer Revo with the nVidia ION platform. 1.6GHz Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, and most importantly the nVidia GPU.

If you run Windows (required for Netflix to not be a pain) the RAM requirements are going to be higher than XBMCbuntu or similar, but RAM is cheap.

The only times CPU speed really matters are heavy processing on libraries (like importing for the first time) or the rare content where hardware decoding doesn't work. Certain 3D content, see the release notes for more details, is all I can think of in that category.

If you insist on buying some random machine off Craigslist and hoping for the best, look for a semi-recent laptop with a broken screen or similar. Remember that the GPU is what matters, Intel Integrated is useless beyond a few years old.
(2014-05-04, 05:31)no1udknow Wrote: well, I have desktop in my office that is a little older, it has a p4, 2.8ghz, and 1gb of ram, running windows xp... I installed xbmc and it ran flawlessly.

As far as the heat issues, My TV cabinet sits in a corner so there is ample space behind it to place a pc and let it remain out of sight. as far as a remote, I am using this

micro wireless keyboard with touchpad

and it is awesome!! I can use it for xbmc and surfing the web.Been testing it out on my laptop and love it.

So I am going to find a cheap used desktop with the best components for a reasonable price, throw a 1tb drive in it for media storage, and let her roll.

Ok behind is different then. You'll be fine with that. You don't want a P4 system in a cabinet but if it has room to breath go ahead.

(2014-05-04, 18:38)no1udknow Wrote:
Quote:Use the laptop top to surf the web and get yourself the $99 Amazon Fire TV and sideload xbmc on it.

You'll be very happy.

everyone is suggesting boxes, and expensive computers, but why when I can buy a 50$ used computer off craigslist with 2 gb of ram and a dual core. then when I'm ready I can buy a 1-2TB drive for another 40$seems like a waste of $$ that i don't really have to build a rocketship when all I need is a cesna.

Because if you're saving $180 a month on your cable bill by disconnecting it, you can get the RIGHT pc that you need from the start rather than something you are going to most likely throw away in 1-2 years and upgrade to the correct PC.

Also, and I HATE IT when people bring in power consumption because normally it's stupid and meaningless. However, joelbaby is right on the powerconsumption part (not about building a NUC you could even go cheaper it's really personal preference on what you build). You're spending 50 extra a year on the P4 right from the start due to power consumption. Actually it's not $50. 50 is a lowball estimate that is extremely off if I go by average power costs in America. Or even using the cheaper areas.

Kabini 5350 power consumption numbers.
160W Pico Killawatt Results:
50% load = 22W
Idle = 14/15W
Prime 95 all cores loaded = 30W
Various games = 22-32W

So 14-22W will be your average power consumption vs 100W idle and got knows how much at load on a P4. Not to mention power supply ineffiencies as well for the P4 (Those numbers take into account power supply ineffencies for the AMD KAbini processor. Now you could even get an 80W pico power supply for even BETTER power consumption numbers.

So within 3 years, you're P4 system will cost you more nad give you lower performance.

The biggest reason people recommend you something different though is people (even myself) don't understand why you'd save $180 a month on a cable bill, then turn around and only spend $50 on the PC. Just seems incredibly cheap lol. Especially when the marginal improvement of spending the whole $180 + a little extra (maybe $220-250 tops) would lead to something FAR better and less power consumption. Or you could even get an Android box for $100. It's just an incredibly inefficient use of additional income.
Using the national average of 11 or so cents a kWh you'd be spending $61 extra dollars to run the P4 at just idle. Compared to a Kabini system close to load. So the MINIMUM extra you'll be spending is $61 to run the P4. Chances are you'll actually watch a video on the machine or use the machine. Any use of the machine means it will power up and consume more power. At LOAD, the P4 can consume around 160 watts compared to Kabini at 25 watts. Running the P4 at Load compared to Kabini would be far worse. And considering the fact that the P4 is incredibly power inefficient, it's also very slow. So it's performance per watt is horrible for tasks.

This system over a 4 year time period would cost you $244 extra to run over a Kabini system minimum. Like we said, chances are you'll use the system and any use will drive that number much further up. You also spent $50 to purchase the system. For a grand total of $294.

Or you could just purchase a Kabini system (or just any low power system like BayTrail or a celeron), and get far better performance for less cost over a 4 year time period.
To summarize:

Those of us that skimped on our first HTPC to save a few bucks, eventually regretted it, and upgraded.

I liken it to when my dad tried to give me advice when I was 17, but I had to find out the hard way. Most of us humans are like that, though.

Have fun with it, above all else!! Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's more important, cpu power or ram?0