Frodo - HD audio not working
Hi,

I was very happy with the new XBMC version as it supports HD audio, except it does not seem to be working. My hardware is perfectly capable of streaming and playing HD audio as I have been using the Eden version with HD audio patch.

When I play a movie with HD audio the following happens:
- Framerate drops to 4 FPS
- No sound
- Indicator on A/V receiver says "Multich" which means it is not receiving any HD audio

I have made an error log:

Link to XBMC log file

Can anyone help?

Regards
This worked for me when I had no audio. I'm new at this so take it for what it's worth: Good Luck.

Go to SETTINGS/SYSTEM/AUDIO OUTPUT and select:
Optical/Coax

Ensure Audio output device and Passthrough output device is set to: WASAPI:SPDIF-Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

Go to SETTINGS/SYSTEM/VIDEO OUTPUT and disable:
Use a full screen window rather than true fullscreen
@Streamerke - your HDMI device is not reporting supporting DTS-HD MA or TrueHD. Given the receiver I would expect this is an EDID issue or a receiver setting.

Use MonInfo to check out the EDID report, and run thru the Frodo audio troubleshooting stickied post at the top of the Windows support subforum here.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-02-17, 16:58)DDDamian Wrote: @Streamerke - your HDMI device is not reporting supporting DTS-HD MA or TrueHD. Given the receiver I would expect this is an EDID issue or a receiver setting.

Use MonInfo to check out the EDID report, and run thru the Frodo audio troubleshooting stickied post at the top of the Windows support subforum here.

Like I said the hardware, both card in PC and receiver, is perfectly capable of TrueHD and DTS-HD as I did it many times before including with the Eden version with HD audio patch. No settings have changed in the mean time.

I will run through the Frodo audio debug thread. Some questions: What is EDID? What is MonInfo?
EDID is basically the info provided by the HDMI device with it's capabilities. You'll see from that thread how to determine if it's reporting correctly - which by your log it isn't. MonInfo is a freeware program which reads and decodes the EDID info into human-readable form. Basically DTS HD and TrueHD are not showing up in your Windows supported formats.

Three likely causes are:
- an EDID override is required
- your amp is passing thru your TV's capabilities (not its own) which is a receiver setting or EDID override required
- your drivers have changed
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Guys,

This is going to sound very bizarre, but... Last night, for no reason what so ever, my HTPC stopped bit streaming HD Audio.. I've been on it all night trying to figure out what happened as "I" honestly changed nothing.

Anyway, after checking and changing drivers, options, cables, inputs etc I was still unable to get HD audio, something I have been enjoying for some time now thanks to Daniela & Damian etc...

I have a Denon AVR (much like Damian) an AMD HD 6320 using frodo, hdmi 1.4a Win 7.

I'm still no further ahead, and i had HD Audio at Xmas as I watched TDK-Rises in full HD.

Now, My avr works with my blurry player and bitstreams hd audio perfectly, my consoles (ps3) are ok too etc... But all of a sudden, my HTPC has stopped bit-streaming hd audio even though it's reported in the "sound" settings menu as supported and is present.

Now.. As I said "I" didn't change anything, but I'm sure my HTPC has made changes to itself (obviously) as I'd did a windows update last night! It also updated to 13.1 ccc

Now, I have rolled back to 12.8 but still no bitstreaming of hd? This could be due to leftover driver files if 13.1 is indeed the culprit... Are any other AMD 13.1 users getting HD audio issues?

If this is not driver related, can any windows users perhaps force a windows update on their Win7 HTPC and check/install the latest windows updates... My HTPC installs all optional, recommended and security files, so currently when updating Via Win Update my pc displays 0 updates in all catagorys.

Could a recent windows update have borked something with my HTPC? Could 13.1 be responsible? I've exhausted every avenu but am now reinstalling my HTPC from scratch to see if this resolves the issue... I'll test 12.8/13.1 and both pre and post windows update..

Interestingly a google search does show a few ati users having he audio issues with 13.1.. So this could be driver related?

Any tips, advice welcome.

Ps.
I also tried mpc-hc with ffdshow and again the bitstream of hd audio failed on my HTPC even though it's supported, reported and has been doing so perfectly until now.
Damian,

Allright, this is a bit embarrasing but here goes:

I made one of the most basic mistakes. I recently installed Windows 8 and because everything worked so great it never occured to me that I never installed the latest display driver for my Geforce card. It was till running the driver that came with Windows 8.

I just installed the latest drivers and instantly the DTS Master HD and TrueHD are appearing on the receiver and both playback and sound are fine!

Solved Blush

Thanks for the extra info, I will keepthis in mind in case of other problems
Drivers... One of the biggest annoyances of pcs... Your driver install has fixed your system, and I'm pretty sure my drivers install has broken mine as I can't bitstream on a 6320 using 13.1 CCC but can on a clean 12.8?

God dam you AMD Smile

If any other 6320 or E-450 APU users get the chance to test the 13.1 drivers I'd be interested to know the results, until then, my APU refuses to play well with 13.1 so as a point of note, if anyone's about to upgrade drivers on an E-450 APU or 6320.... Don't Smile you might have the same issue I'm havingSad
It's precisely that reason I always stick with Nvidia for graphics as both AMD & Intel always seem have driver issues.
Heh - my three Windows-based HTPC's run on AMD Smile
AMD make great hardware but personally I've a hatred for their software, drivers constantly seem to introduce issues & break things and CCC can cause all sorts of pain, life has been so much easier since I started using Nvidia, but hey that's just my personal opinion Smile
@DDDamian - me too, but are you seeing variable frame rates while browsing menus - 35 to 60 and all points in between. Sure I read somewhere about current AMD driver and menu fluency issues and can't find the thread anywhere.
Btw, I'd suggest to anyone with a working HTPC to just turn off all updates and only apply them if something isn't working, personally I've got a "if it isn't broken why try to fix it" mentality when it comes to my XBMC PC.
(2013-02-18, 14:38)jjd-uk Wrote: Btw, I'd suggest to anyone with a working HTPC to just turn off all updates and only apply them if something isn't working, personally I've got a "if it isn't broken why try to fix it" mentality when it comes to my XBMC PC.

While this statement goes against everything I teach others at work, home, friends etc... I can't help but agree entirely.

After what has been the worst weekend in months I have concluded that the auto update to 13.1 caused my issues. I'm now back on 12.8 and have those very pretty DTS-HD and TRUE-HD lights back on my AVR.

Had my htpc not auto upgraded, I'd have probably not bothered for a few more weeks or so (or ever) as my last gfx driver update was august 2012 Smile (this is where it must have sneakily added the "auto update from now on" check mark to my configuration.

I know 13.1 is working for some, but for my particular configuration of an integrated APU and OS etc it caused a failure of HD audio Sad

As an owner of both AMD and nVidia I Think they both have pros and cons, but again I completely agree that the CCC introduces more problems than it solves (in respect to nVidias control panel) I find that CCC is cluttered with shit in every option and literally 1 check mark in the wrong place can cause all hell to break loose.

Anyhoo, on a positive note I'm back with HD audio on frodo and so much happier for it Big Grin
So in short, follow JJds advice and maybe hold off Or disable auto updates (for drivers at least) as by doing so would have saved me an entire weekend that I can't get back.. I was so moody and locked away trying to fix this that I even ignored the wife and kids as it was so frustrating (as i couldnt explain it) and I wasn't about to let it defeat me ...
I feel your pain Patrick. Nothing worse for relationships than a f....d up system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo - HD audio not working0