Off the shelf box
Hi, my media center just died, so I'm now looking to replace it.

I just want an off the shelf box that is pretty small, quiet and low in power consumption

I want to run xbmc and play back hd videos and also things like iplayer and other web based flash videos.

What is currently the best box to do this?

I'm looking at ARCTIC MC001 and Acer Revo at the moment, would these be suitable for hd playback?

Does any one have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Don't know about the Arctic but the Revo is fine. I found it to be underpowered for the copy of Windows 7 that came on it so I replaced it with Ubuntu. With hardware accelerated video the cpu loading is quite low when playing stuff. If you've got a really large library the Revo at least will benefit greatly from a SSD.
ARCTIC MC001 is suitable for hd content

more info here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155073&page=8
(2013-02-17, 11:20)iamds Wrote: I want to run xbmc and play back hd videos and also things like iplayer and other web based flash videos.

This might be where both the Arctic and Revo fall down if you go with the models based on Atom or Zacate (E-350/450). You'll want to confirm all the players for your streams, especially iPlayer support GPU acceleration (I could not get a straight answer on this searching) because if they don't the CPUs in there are not powerful enough to render HD in software.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Off the shelf box0