path subsitution step-by-step guide?
hi all,

I have had some stability problems with both Eden and Frodo in the last few weeks, tried a lot of things, and eventually re-jailbreak my ATV2 to 5.0.2 and installed Frodo from a clean slate. To my dismay, even this still resolve all my issues: Fresh Frodo installation on a re-jailbroken ATV2 still crashes for no reasons, but I think I am getting close to the bottom of issues.

I suspect it has something to do with my video collections, and the fact that it generates too much thumbnails (stored on ATV2).

For example, after I scanned my video libraries (about 186 movies, multiple seasons of multiple TV series), the thumbnails direction is about 170MB big. But before I scan my video collection and was playing videos, everything seemed to be good.

Hence, I am experimenting moving thumbnails to an NFS drive. I seek your help in getting this working. Here are the steps I've taken so far:

1) generated advancedsettings.xml and upload it to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>nfs://192.168.1.145/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

there 192.168.1.145 is the IP address of my NFS server. The said directory is visible to ATV2 if I browse it for adding a video source. The directory is readable/writable/executable.

2) on the NFS server, created directories:
Code:
/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails$ ls
0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f  Video
and changed the permissions:
Code:
sudo chmod -R og+rwx .

3) the relevant nfs export is:
Code:
/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails 192.168.1.0/24(rw,all_squash,insecure)

4) go back to ATV2/XBMC, reboot ATV2/XBMC, and re-scanned the video

However, this does not generate thumbnails to the NFS share. In fact, I can see the screen "flashing" as if it is scanning and trying to update.

Can anyone please kindly let me know what I am doing wrong?

thanks in advance,
Couldn't you use a scraping software to save tumbnails on the server? Afaik xbmc checks the folder where the movie is first, and if no tumbs are found it generates them. I use sickbeard for tv series and couchpotato for movies.
that's the exactly the problem I'm having. I use couchpotato which automatically downloads the movie info/thumbnails/fan-arts to the NFS server. XBMC can scan the NFS directory, finds the movie info (.nfo), but for some reasons, does NOT use the thumbnails! All the .nfo/thb/jpg were named in the same way.
This was the exact same issue I was having.
Afaik, XBMC does actually take the thumbnails off the server when initially scanned, but they're cached in the userdata/thumbnails folder. (Someone may correct me). But anyway I'm fairly sure that folder was too big on my ATV2 and was crashing it.

I've sinced moved to a MySQL database on my NAS. And have also substituted the Thumbnails folder to one stored on the NAS. Mine is now running beautifully again!

What machine is 192.168.1.145?
Also, have you got your xbmc.log?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
path subsitution step-by-step guide?0